Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCA AutoX Sept 4 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:40pm

Great day all...I am heading back to my sofa shortly back's sore, but what an amazing day

Allan, amazing for you to step into my car and be off by only 2 hundreths of a second, you could have pulled it off and taken me but you are the gentlemen and enjoy buying one a beer

Charles allowed me to take 3-4 runs in his car, I really drove the lines and tried the limits and pointed out a few things to try...then he drove and it's a NICE car...I as Patrick, hit me what I was driving and hearing him asking me what should be changed to autox...just tires and rims if in the budget and enjoy the rest.

His car felt soft and rolled in the back, felt high...so maybe suspension upgrade...keep the stock parts in case ones changes their mind

David, he is having problems logining in...Hope Charles can see this.

Anyways...nite and chat more later...COD4?:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

Here is the Video...

Gary, you've got some interesting things flying around in your video.

Right at the very beginning a small plane flies out from the side of your rear view mirror.

And then at the 49 second mark a UFO streaks across from left to right.

I was too busy searching the sky for more objects to notice your driving!  

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:49pm
Here are a couple videos. Using the cheap camera velcroed to the rear windshield because my usual mount was in the other car.

My uncle did 4 runs back to back at lunch, I thought it was interesting to see them all together with the little differences between each run, so here's the video.

I didn't get my fastest run on video, so here's my second to last run. My next run was at least half a second faster so if I made any obvious mistakes in that video, there's a chance I corrected them in the final run.
88 Formula 5 speed

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 10:12pm
Bzzzzzz.. that UFO is an insect for sure.. but hey.. at least is is a "FO"

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 10:31pm

Bzzzzzz.. that UFO is an insect for sure.. but hey.. at least is is a "FO"

I freeze-framed the video... it's a dragonfly (or a small alien that looks like one).

Gary, have a look at This. Seem somewhat familiar? I'm thinking this problem might be more widespread than most Fiero owners realize, especially as these plugs and wires get more brittle with age. 

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 2:18am
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:32am
interesting link Patrick. seems the angle of the connector is not doing anybody any favours. i took a look at the harness we had here and it is only the back side harness and the distributor connectors are not there...  there are a couple of dukes at pick a part that will have them though... it should be pretty common.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Tire Rack tires

Brian, I urge you to give This local place a call/email. Might be really worthwhile doing not only for yourself, but for all us other autocrossing club members. (I'd contact them, but you know a helluva lot more than I do about tires and what we'd require for our Fieros.)

It's the same person/company that has posted this recent Craigslist ad.

Check the price compared to Tire Rack's!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:47am

there are a couple of dukes at pick a part that will have them though...

Nope.

The "extra" plug I have (to replace the one I robbed off my GT) is from one of those Pick-a-Part dukes. The other duke out there is an '87 and it has the DIS ignition with a whole different set of connections/plugs.

it should be pretty common.

You're right, these style plugs were in relatively common usage with many different GM models. It's just a matter now of grabbing one or two if and when the opportunity presents itself.

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:03am
When Colby and I were there last, he pointed out a duke in a different car. It looked quite complete. ...Colby, what car was it?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:13am

...a duke in a different car.

Yeah, there are a lot of duke and V6 and V8 engines out there that use that same ignition coil (and therefore the same connector/plug).

On the other hand, there are so many other variations of ignition systems on GM cars (including ones with dukes) that it'll take a lot of lifted hoods out at Pick-a-Part to find what's required.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:47am
You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.  If you have trouble locating them, ask Dr Fiero.  He has provided me with several new ones and even offers (at a cost) to build a complete connector both sides, shink tubed and soldered correctly. (this is refering to the V6, with the duke you would just buy the one plug you need and install it yourself) 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:56am
Brian, you are the gentleman for letting me play with your car, even after I spun it.   

Your car is definitely a little looser than I'm used to and my hat is off to you for your skills in piloting it as well as you do.  You have a great feel for your car and it would take me a little more time to develop a similar feel.  After my first spin, I dialed it back a little bit as you can clearly see on the video.  I sure didn't want to go flying off into skidpad construction land.    But everywhere else I was doing my best and (sometimes overdriving - it took all I had to not spin your car into those heavy metal-boxed timing lights when I went semi-sideways into the stop box) and you beat me fair and square! 

Gary's 914 used to be looser than yours and we've been playing with it and now it's quite stable.  I managed a 42.5 without too much trouble (even with the engine trouble) on a fun run.  Could've done 41's in a couple more runs.  Adjustable suspension ftw!    If you ever need to replace your shocks, you know what to do. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:59am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.

Dave, I actually enjoy going to Pick-a-Part. I don't enjoy going to Lordco.

Besides, I've read at Pennock's that those connectors/plugs are relatively expensive (for what they are). If John would like to chime in and say what these connectors are worth new, I'd be curious.

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:05pm

You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.

Good to know.

The problem with buying used connectors is that you already have a used connector in your car - that just failed. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:20pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

The problem with buying used connectors is that you already have a used connector in your car - that just failed. 

I like living on the edge.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 1:17pm

Patrick I have to agree with Alan on this one.  All the used connectors you are going to find will be 20 year old brittle plastic that has been heat treated to near glass brittle.

If I have one laying in my parts bin and I need one,  I'll toss on a used one, however I would never go out of my way to find and install a used one.  

IIRC the new ones were about 13 bucks.  Vs the cost of a possible tow home, or at the least waiting for a buddy to bring me a spare part.  I think 13 bucks is cheap.  Heck I spend more than that on a McDonald's meal when I am really hungry and order nuggets to go along with my burger.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 4:36pm

I think 13 bucks is cheap.  Heck I spend more than that on a McDonald's meal when I am really hungry...

Heh heh, I bet you do!

Hey Dave, I don't disagree with you and Allan on this. I'm just in favor of... recycling. Yeah, that's it.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:24pm

Some great pictures of the autocross Here.

Our favorite shot has got to be this infrared one.

But ya gotta love this little smokin' tomato as well...

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 9:05pm
I like this viewing the videos side by side thing.

http://youtubedoubler.com/1Bdd
88 Formula 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic