Forum Description: Autocross, Road and Drag Racing discussions
URL: http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2660
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 10:53pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: PCA AutoX Sept 4 2011
Posted By: Bassman
Subject: PCA AutoX Sept 4 2011
Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 4:38pm

http://porsche.jeffgrant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3740 - http://porsche.jeffgrant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3740

Registered...Allan will be co-driving my car, and I think there will be a few challenges to carry forth

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">

Replies:
Posted By: AllanJ
Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 4:44pm
ok...I guess I better sign up then.  

Posted By: Colby
Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:08pm
Is it going to be a problem for Rich if I don't know what car I'm driving yet? I want to sign up now to be sure I get in.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:35pm
About time Allan...co-drive the 914 again Colby?

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:47pm
I'm thinking about it but I'm much more comfortable in a Fiero. I'm just too big for the 914.

Patrick, did you want to co-drive again?

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

About time Allan

Done.  Formally co-driving your baby.  Loser buys beer. 

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

About time Allan

Because I don't want to hear the excuses later in the day when I enjoy that beer, maybe we should catch up and let you drive car and get a feel for it?...lol

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:26pm

About time Allan

Because I don't want to hear the excuses later in the day when I enjoy that beer, maybe we should catch up and let you drive car and get a feel for it?...lol

Thanks....but not required.  Imagine the look on your face if I do indeed pull off a better time without ever driving your car beforehand?  The beer would taste so much better. 

...and if I lose to you, well, I can always cling onto that excuse.  hahaha!

Date Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:41pm

About time Allan

Thanks....but not required.  Imagine the look on your face if I do indeed pull off a better time without ever driving your car beforehand?  The beer would taste so much better. 

Really...wow, this will be a fun day

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Posted By: Patrick
Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Patrick, did you want to co-drive again?

Colby, I very much enjoyed the co-driving I did with you last Saturday, and with Brian on Sunday, but if we're both now relegated to again driving lowly dukes , we may as well each drive our own cars. Is that okay with you?

Posted By: karnak
Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:21pm
Well Colby wont be driving the Formula. ... a spun bearing was making the noise so it will be off the road for a bit for a crank turn (among other things)...

i am going to go and register. hoping for a cloudy day!

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:27pm
well... that was quick. i am now registered!
can't wait!

Gary

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:39pm
Ouch Colby...and Ya Gary:)...lol

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:48pm
Sorry to hear that, Colby.  

Posted By: Capt Fiero
Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:04pm

That really sucks Colby, if its any condolence my 88GT is due to spin a bearing any day now.  I am getting bearing noise at light load around 3000 rpms.  I am up to 20w50 with a bottle of Lucas trying to get it a bit further, and I honestly think I have more blow by than I do have compression.  Really sucks that your motor popped, and as I recall that motor did not have too many miles on it.  If mine blows up before I leave for Oregon, maybe we can do a joint tech day and install motors together.  I have a spare 88 V6 motor that I am saving for when this one blows up.  Side note, they do make a high volume oil pump for the Fiero.  Its about $120 but has larger gears in the pump.  It has the same size spring so it won't over pressurize your system, however it will keep oil getting to worn out bearings.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:17pm
Yeah, it sucks. I realized afterwards that it had been making the noise at light load and 2000-3000 rpm several weeks ago. If I had a bit more experience and recognized the noise I could have caught it earlier. I don't want this to happen again any time soon so I'll definitely be buying the high volume pump.

Thankfully I still have the Duke and I've been curious to see if it really does have more grip in the sweepers than the Formula so I now have a chance to see for sure.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

...if we're both now relegated to again driving lowly dukes , we may as well each drive our own cars. Is that okay with you?

Yeah, that's fine. Just don't complain too much about my tires.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 10:56pm
I'm officially registered now.

At least you've driven my Fiero before, I'm sure Brian's has a similar feel to it.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Posted By: Dawg
Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:11pm
@Colby+Dave

We should do a tech day together and come up from the bottom to replace the rod bearings.  If we're lucky, the journals will be ok enough to buy us all some time.  I have the exact same issue.

A little 600 grit paper to polish up the bad journal if need be and the new bearing should last a good long while.  As long as everything is still fairly round. 

This would sure beat pulling the engine.

Dawg

-------------
You dream it up....I'll make it

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:21pm
Well I took the oil pan off already to inspect it. I can post pictures but the impression I got from my dad was that it was damaged enough that simply replacing the bearings wouldn't buy me very much time. Though with my situation, I don't need the car to be drivable anytime soon so I'd rather take it all out and fix it properly.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:47pm

At least you've driven my Fiero before, I'm sure Brian's has a similar feel to it.

I'm so old that I've forgotten how the brakes, etc were.  A few flat-spotted tires will let me know in a hurry.  lol!

Posted By: Graeme
Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:05am
That sucks Colby, I'm really sorry to hear that. I had no idea whatsoever of any issues and the car always ran strong for me (stronger than my current 88).

What causes this issue? That engine barely has any k's on it, less than 80 thousand. As I said, it ran really strong too. Is it just bad luck? or type of driving? or what?

Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 4:47pm
hi Graeme,

i think the sitting around was the problem. some regular use brought the issue forward. the crank is cooked enough to have a definate texture and signs of heat on the shells (with a good amount of wear)

the cost to repair is not huge and is a good opportunity to dig in and go thru all seals and surfaces... tons of work though.

i will encourage Colby to put up a picture or two..

Gary

Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 6:25pm

Dammit Graeme...so hard on your cars

Colby & Gary...I may not be much help, but if I can please let me know, it's a way for me to learn also

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

the crank is cooked enough to have a definate texture and signs of heat on the shells (with a good amount of wear)

I have no idea what that means.. it would be like me explaining the difference between UDP and TCP and the benefits of either one relative to the purposes of live communication on the internet. So that's that.

Either way, that sucks big time. Definitely post pics, I'm always keen to learn more about our cars and what makes them tick (louder and louder and louder...)

Brian,

Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:40pm
Here are a couple pictures...

Colby & Gary...I may not be much help, but if I can please let me know, it's a way for me to learn also

The plan is to work on it just a bit at a time and I think most of it just requires one person. Though you can always come over during the more interesting parts. I'll be learning stuff as well.

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

it would be like me explaining the difference between UDP and TCP and the benefits of either one relative to the purposes of live communication on the internet. So that's that.

Oh, but that's easy. For live audio and video, UDP is better.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:52pm
Holy cheese! Nice. But "better" in this case only means possibly lower latency, there's so much more!

Anyways, great pics. Still a bit lost, possibly because I've never seen one of those that is in good condition. A can definitely see the abrasions though, that's obviously bad.

Posted By: Dawg
Date Posted: 01 September 2011 at 3:04am
That has the look of oil contamination. Did you pull all the caps? Did
they have the same streak down the middle of the journal?

Dawg

-------------
You dream it up....I'll make it

Date Posted: 01 September 2011 at 7:17am
Let me know Colby...and COD4 was fun last night:)...

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 01 September 2011 at 1:50pm
we did not pull the rest of the caps. we wiggled the crank back and forth. saw the sloppy one and removed the cap. when we remove the others... pictures are sure to follow.

Date Posted: 01 September 2011 at 10:15pm

So am I.

Sorry to see the extent of the damage to the Formula's engine, but unfortunately that's what I figured you'd find when I heard that knocking at the track.  

Oh well, look at the bright side.. We'll be "duking" it out again, just like old times.

Date Posted: 03 September 2011 at 9:29pm

Get lots of sleep tonight, Colby. I'll be gunning for you tomorrow! Avatar

Date Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:36pm

And Allan, if you still want to try it, I'd still like you to take the Mighty Duke for a lap or two during the lunch break. I'd like to see what an experienced driver can do with a low horsepower car on street tires there. I want to see what I should be aiming for!

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:51pm

Gary, I made it home just fine. Thanks!

(Explanation and report to follow a cold beer... or two.)

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 5:08pm
Great!

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 5:32pm
That was a great day, except that I didn't get a video of my fastest run this time.  The one I have is actually .8 seconds slower, I managed to get a fairly quick final lap (at least by my standards ). It was fun to go back to the Duke after what I've learned driving the more powerful Formula, and fortunately this course today worked out well for the underpowered cars.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:08pm
Kudos to Brian for kicking my butt today!    I had a great time chasing him and happily bought him beer and appys at the local pub.  Great job, Brian!  

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:29pm
Great fun! I will post a video once i get out of the tub the day
was quick. 10 runs in total and some lunchtime runs for Allan and
Brian to give our cars a whirl and do some training. Super hot
though.

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:33pm

Well, that was a great day. That was probably the most fun autocross I've been to since I started doing autocross last year. There were some unexpected twists and turns (not all on the course), but taking everything into consideration, it was a lot of fun.

First things first. When I turned up at the track this morning, there was this beautiful pristine 1988 Fiero GT 5-spd sitting there in the pit area. Turns out this GT belongs to Charles from Bellingham, who just bought it. And get this, there are only 10,000 miles on this GT. I'm not kidding... 10,000 miles. Wow.

The course layout was really really good. It allowed fast cars to go fast, and it allowed slow cars to go fast. How's that possible? There were no tight corners, no need for a lot of power to get going again. This was Duke country!!!

Colby and I had a great time chipping away at each other's time in the morning runs. And seriously, we weren't that far behind the pack. We could actually compete on this course with the other cars. We had four runs each in the morning, and I was ahead of Colby by 5/10's of a second... 47.4 to 47.9 (from memory). I put on my best Tristan impersonation and made a big deal out of it for Colby's benefit.

Now for the twists and turns. I blew my first run in the afternoon by getting way too cocky (again, like Tristan), and entering a turn much too quickly with ummmm, exciting results. Spinning the car does tend to slow down the run. On my next run, I launched... turned after the first cone... and then the engine got VERY quiet. It was deader than dead, and she wasn't going to re-start.  The track crew then earned their pay and found out first-hand how heavy a Fiero actually is and pushed me off the track.

I had my suspicions what the problem was, but before I could even curse or cry, Charles walked up to me and said, "Do you want to co-drive my car?" Excuse me, do I want to co-drive an '88 GT with 10,000 miles on it? Hell Yeah!

It occurred to me that the last time someone autocrossed an '88 GT with 10,000 miles on it was probably back in 1989!!!!

Anyway, as excited as I was, I was also terrified that I might possibly damage this pristine car. Putting it into the fence would not be the wisest thing to do!

It turned out that the '88 GT had lots of power, which was great, but it also had 23 year old tires on it with rubber as hard as porcelain, which was not so great. Combine that with shocks and struts which have deteriorated from sitting for two decades and all I can say is that the first slalom I went through was... challenging. I couldn't believe how squirly the car felt. It felt dangerous. Did that slow me down? A little... until the next run.

The next run I wanted to push it a bit more, just a teeny weeny bit. Bad move. I totally lost control of the car and nailed, not clipped, but nailed two cones. Worse than that, one cone wedged under the front of the car. It was with great shame and embarrassment that I returned to the starting grid with a bright orange cone wedged under this beautiful pristine '88 Fiero GT. Did I mention that this GT only has 10,000 miles on it?

Charles was very good about it. He didn't yell at me or strike me or anything. Charles is a fine man.

I behaved after that, but even after four runs with the GT, I couldn't beat my best time from the morning with the Duke. I was a full two seconds slower. It really made me appreciate the work that's been done to the 84's suspension. I like the way it handles. Proper tires would improve it just that much more.

Colby continued to improve his times in the afternoon. On one hand, I was disappointed that I couldn't continue to "duke" it out with Colby in the afternoon session (it's a great rivalry), but on the other hand, what a thrill to drive such a low mileage '88 Fiero GT. Thanks Charles!

And what was wrong with my '84? Turns out that a wire supplying power to the ignition coil broke off where it was molded into a plug (due to age and fatigue). I had my suspicions about that wire/plug, so I was able to identify the problem pretty quickly at the end of the day. Thank goodness, as I didn't relish the idea of having my car towed all the way home from there. Gary stepped up to the plate with some electrical tape and zip ties and we pieced it together enough for me to drive 'er home.

It was a great day. If any of you are still sitting on the fence in regards to autocross, ya gotta try it at least once next season. It's a fun way to spend the day with your fellow Fiero buddies.

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:43pm

I put on on my best Tristan impersonation and made a big deal out of it for Colby's benefit.

Yes, and now I see you're doing a Tristan impersonation on this forum with your long write up of the day.   It was one of the funner events for me as well.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:28pm
ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_gf-wp85g - Here is the Video and http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dmi6xhTSMQxs&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRa_gf-wp85g&start2=2&authorName=9146 - Here is a link to the double view between Allan and myself. Note how he isn't moving around as much as me.

nice re-cap Patrick. the 88 you drove should be in a museum it is so flawless. i asked Charles to take several pictures of all the little bits and details. this car is a fantastic resource for people doing a full restore.

Gary

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:40pm

Great day all...I am heading back to my sofa shortly back's sore, but what an amazing day

Allan, amazing for you to step into my car and be off by only 2 hundreths of a second, you could have pulled it off and taken me but you are the gentlemen and enjoy buying one a beer

Charles allowed me to take 3-4 runs in his car, I really drove the lines and tried the limits and pointed out a few things to try...then he drove and it's a NICE car...I as Patrick, hit me what I was driving and hearing him asking me what should be changed to autox...just tires and rims if in the budget and enjoy the rest.

His car felt soft and rolled in the back, felt high...so maybe suspension upgrade...keep the stock parts in case ones changes their mind

David, he is having problems logining in...Hope Charles can see this.

Anyways...nite and chat more later...COD4?:)

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:41pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_gf-wp85g - Here is the Video...

Gary, you've got some interesting things flying around in your video.

Right at the very beginning a small plane flies out from the side of your rear view mirror.

And then at the 49 second mark a UFO streaks across from left to right.

I was too busy searching the sky for more objects to notice your driving!  

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 8:49pm
Here are a couple videos. Using the cheap camera velcroed to the rear windshield because my usual mount was in the other car.

My uncle did 4 runs back to back at lunch, I thought it was interesting to see them all together with the little differences between each run, so here's the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUYAG7yK2o - video .

I didn't get my fastest run on video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmjvHrrEOnQ - so here's my second to last run . My next run was at least half a second faster so if I made any obvious mistakes in that video, there's a chance I corrected them in the final run.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 10:12pm
Bzzzzzz.. that UFO is an insect for sure.. but hey.. at least is is a "FO"

Date Posted: 04 September 2011 at 10:31pm

Bzzzzzz.. that UFO is an insect for sure.. but hey.. at least is is a "FO"

I freeze-framed the video... it's a dragonfly (or a small alien that looks like one).

Gary, have a look at http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118020.html - This . Seem somewhat familiar? I'm thinking this problem might be more widespread than most Fiero owners realize, especially as these plugs and wires get more brittle with age. 

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 2:18am

Nice tire package...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&autoYear=1986&autoModClar=&initialPartNumber=27475717HB&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=MOTEGI+RACING&wheelModel=SP10&wheelFinish=Hyper+Black&wheelFinish=Hyper+Black&showRear=no - http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=ru nWheelSearch&autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&au toYear=1986&autoModClar=&initialPartNumber=27475717H B&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=MOTEGI+RACING&wheelModel=SP 10&wheelFinish=Hyper+Black&wheelFinish=Hyper+Black&a mp;showRear=no

With http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V710&partnum=25WR5EV710&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&autoYear=1986&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&t ireModel=Ecsta+V710&partnum=25WR5EV710&i1_Qty=4& autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&autoYear=1986&a utoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

One of Allan's runs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqU-rSCrcIo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqU-rSCrcIo

One of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFr5LeP8G84 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFr5LeP8G84

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:32am
interesting link Patrick. seems the angle of the connector is not doing anybody any favours. i took a look at the harness we had here and it is only the back side harness and the distributor connectors are not there...  there are a couple of dukes at pick a part that will have them though... it should be pretty common.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:39am

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V710&partnum=25WR5EV710&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&autoYear=1986&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true - Tire Rack tires

Brian, I urge you to give http://etiredirect.yolasite.com/products.php - This local place a call/email. Might be really worthwhile doing not only for yourself, but for all us other autocrossing club members. (I'd contact them, but you know a helluva lot more than I do about tires and what we'd require for our Fieros.)

It's the same person/company that has posted this http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/2582135114.html - recent Craigslist ad .

Check the price compared to Tire Rack's!

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:47am

there are a couple of dukes at pick a part that will have them though...

Nope.

The "extra" plug I have (to replace the one I robbed off my GT) is from one of those Pick-a-Part dukes. The other duke out there is an '87 and it has the DIS ignition with a whole different set of connections/plugs.

it should be pretty common.

You're right, these style plugs were in relatively common usage with many different GM models. It's just a matter now of grabbing one or two if and when the opportunity presents itself.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:03am
When Colby and I were there last, he pointed out a duke in a different car. It looked quite complete. ...Colby, what car was it?

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:13am

...a duke in a different car.

Yeah, there are a lot of duke and V6 and V8 engines out there that use that same ignition coil (and therefore the same connector/plug).

On the other hand, there are so many other variations of ignition systems on GM cars (including ones with dukes) that it'll take a lot of lifted hoods out at Pick-a-Part to find what's required.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:47am
You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.  If you have trouble locating them, ask Dr Fiero.  He has provided me with several new ones and even offers (at a cost) to build a complete connector both sides, shink tubed and soldered correctly. (this is refering to the V6, with the duke you would just buy the one plug you need and install it yourself) 

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:56am
Brian, you are the gentleman for letting me play with your car, even after I spun it.   

Your car is definitely a little looser than I'm used to and my hat is off to you for your skills in piloting it as well as you do.  You have a great feel for your car and it would take me a little more time to develop a similar feel.  After my first spin, I dialed it back a little bit as you can clearly see on the video.  I sure didn't want to go flying off into skidpad construction land.    But everywhere else I was doing my best and (sometimes overdriving - it took all I had to not spin your car into those heavy metal-boxed timing lights when I went semi-sideways into the stop box) and you beat me fair and square! 

Gary's 914 used to be looser than yours and we've been playing with it and now it's quite stable.  I managed a 42.5 without too much trouble (even with the engine trouble) on a fun run.  Could've done 41's in a couple more runs.  Adjustable suspension ftw!    If you ever need to replace your shocks, you know what to do. 

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 11:59am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.

Dave, I actually enjoy going to Pick-a-Part. I don't enjoy going to Lordco.

Besides, I've read at Pennock's that those connectors/plugs are relatively expensive (for what they are). If John would like to chime in and say what these connectors are worth new, I'd be curious.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:05pm

You guys are aware that these connectors are avaliable new from Lordco in there Pico catalog right?  They are not that expensive either, a whole lot less than the cost of gas driving to Pick A Part.

Good to know.

The problem with buying used connectors is that you already have a used connector in your car - that just failed. 

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 12:20pm

The problem with buying used connectors is that you already have a used connector in your car - that just failed. 

I like living on the edge.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 1:17pm

Patrick I have to agree with Alan on this one.  All the used connectors you are going to find will be 20 year old brittle plastic that has been heat treated to near glass brittle.

If I have one laying in my parts bin and I need one,  I'll toss on a used one, however I would never go out of my way to find and install a used one.  

IIRC the new ones were about 13 bucks.  Vs the cost of a possible tow home, or at the least waiting for a buddy to bring me a spare part.  I think 13 bucks is cheap.  Heck I spend more than that on a McDonald's meal when I am really hungry and order nuggets to go along with my burger.

-------------
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 4:36pm

I think 13 bucks is cheap.  Heck I spend more than that on a McDonald's meal when I am really hungry...

Heh heh, I bet you do!

Hey Dave, I don't disagree with you and Allan on this. I'm just in favor of... recycling. Yeah, that's it.

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:24pm

Some great pictures of the autocross http://www.flickr.com/photos/12123650@N05/sets/72157627597216380/ - Here .

Our favorite shot has got to be this infrared one.

But ya gotta love this little smokin' tomato as well...

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 9:05pm
I like this viewing the videos side by side thing.

http://youtubedoubler.com/1Bdd - http://youtubedoubler.com/1Bdd

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 05 September 2011 at 9:48pm

I like this viewing the videos side by side thing.

http://youtubedoubler.com/1Bdd - http://youtubedoubler.com/1Bdd

Colby, that buzzing hornet in your car sounds awfully angry!

What was vibrating?

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:34am

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V710&partnum=25WR5EV710&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Pontiac&autoModel=Fiero&autoYear=1986&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true - Tire Rack tires

Brian, I urge you to give http://etiredirect.yolasite.com/products.php - This local place a call/email. Might be really worthwhile doing not only for yourself, but for all us other autocrossing club members. (I'd contact them, but you know a helluva lot more than I do about tires and what we'd require for our Fieros.)

It's the same person/company that has posted this http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/2582135114.html - recent Craigslist ad .

Check the price compared to Tire Rack's!

Emailed and texted him...don't think he's active anymore

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 9:20am

Emailed and texted him...don't think he's active anymore

He still has current ads on Craigslist. Maybe he was just away for the long weekend.

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 9:29am
Is there some reason we don't see people using http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+Z214&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245ZR5Z214C71&tab=Specs - these tires?

What was vibrating?

I don't know... maybe something to do with my car having newish mounts and that the velcro doesn't provide much damping for the camera.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 10:25am

What was vibrating?

I don't know...

Do you have that short string thing on the camera with the plastic clasp on the end of it? If so, that's what it was, vibrating against the camera itself.

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 10:48am

I texted the guy for the tires and he doesn't have the V710's in the 15's, and he has not replied back to my question on what he may have left in 17's or V700.

Gary...I was not aware of the Hankook's, Hoosier's and KUMHO's have always been the ones people use...I like the proce of these and may try once I waer out my R888's...I am currently looking for cheap tread for my 17's as they are my storage tires, and insurance up October 7th.

-------------
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 10:59am

Do you have that short string thing on the camera with the plastic clasp on the end of it? If so, that's what it was, vibrating against the camera itself.

No, nothing like that on this camera. Notice that it seems to happen at certain RPMs, and those mounts do transmit a lot of vibration to the interior.

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 06 September 2011 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

Results posted:

Top RAW times:
http://members.shaw.ca/rsandor3/2011_sept_autoxraw.html

Full Results sorted by run group:
http://members.shaw.ca/rsandor3/2011_sept_autoxfin.html

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:49pm
Colby, you did an EXCELLENT job!!!  Fantastic time!  That's within a couple tenths of what I did with your car at lunch.  Give yourself a pat on the back.  

Date Posted: 08 September 2011 at 10:01pm
Thanks. Now if only I could get there in 4 runs...

-------------
88 Formula 5 speed

Date Posted: 08 September 2011 at 11:08pm

Colby, you did an EXCELLENT job!!!  Fantastic time!  That's within a couple tenths of what I did with your car at lunch.  Give yourself a pat on the back.  

Yes, Colby did great. I like the way he saved his best for the last run and really made it count.

On one hand I'm disappointed that I didn't get a chance in the afternoon to see if I could continue to improve my times as well (the duke was temporarily out of commission after lunch), but on the other hand it was memorable driving Charles' 10,000 mile '88 GT during the second half of the day... despite the fact it was scary dangerous with 23 year old tires and non-functioning shocks and struts!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net