West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dawg’s Grand Am hubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dawg’s Grand Am hubs
    Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:11pm
I finally have a set of stock front rotors to turn into Grand Am hubs.  If anyone wants a set of hubs, let me know and I'll get to them sooner than later.

$100 exchange.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:17pm
Well I had some time to spare tonight so I decided to whip up a set of hubs.  Only got one done since it's the first time I've done one.

Here's before:

And after:

I'm not putting the studs back on because you really should buy longer ones to be real safe.  I still have the stock ones if someone wants to use them however.

Eventually, I'll come up with a spacer ring to keep the Grand AM rotor perfectly centered.  It seems from what I've read that it really isn't a big deal.  Not having done the conversion myself I don't know.

Any interest?

DG
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Well I had some time to spare tonight so I decided to whip up a set of hubs. 

Eventually, I'll come up with a spacer ring to keep the Grand AM rotor perfectly centered.

Having had & used a few of these - I can say for sure that NOT having a way to center the rotor is a major shortcoming.  The rim is lug-centric, but the rotor isn't.  With no centering ring, it flops all over the place and makes braking nasty...

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 11:24pm
Side note if someone has 1 spare front hub, I could use it.  I am trying to get a set to Damian, and can only find one of the 2 that I had.  I guess someone needed a single hub and not realize it was my last set I gave it to them.  I really want to get these setup for the front of my V8.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2010 at 5:02pm
OK, I finally got a totally finished set out the door.

The original units above were too large in diameter to fit in a Grand Am rotor.  I got my hands on some rotors and realized they don't fit...:)

Here are the hubs totally finished.  Tim came and picked them up today.

These are quite a bit lighter and just as strong.  The metal left behind on the originals was not adding to the strength.  It was there for the rotor only.

Lots of machining but nice final product.  I'll make a few more at this price and see how it goes but I suspect I'll want more to do these in the future.

DG

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2010 at 6:51pm

Sorry we did not get any pictures today, but we did the Grand Am conversion on Tims car and also put new pads on the rear Grand Am brakes on his car as well.  So now he has Grand Am on all 4 corners. 

Dawgs idea with the tabs in the centre of the hubs to keep the Rotors in place worked perfect.  I took Tims car out and did several high speed stops and not a hint of shake or vibration.  The car locks up the tires from any speed.  I am a little nervous about how well / easy it now locks up the fronts and will probably have to modify the proportioning valve or remove it all together.   THe nice thing is from now on all brake jobs will be easy and cheap.  On a side note, the Grand Am calipers are only $34 from Lordco, however the core's are $40 each.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:15am
I installed my distributor mods on Tim's engine the other day.  So I had a chance to discuss his brake conversion.  Well he loves it.

I think for most people, the Grand Am conversion is the way to go.  It's so easy and relatively cheap to install.  And as Dave says, it makes future brake jobs very cheap.

Good job Dave, Tim is a happy customer.

The Dawg
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 12:10pm
Side note, Tim mentioned yesterday when Lisa and I got home, that the car is running great with the new dist installed.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:25pm
major old thread bump.....you still doing these ??
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:26pm
Yup....got a set made up somewhere under the bench. Just need to
clean them up.

Dawg
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 9:51pm
Nice work.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:10pm
Side note to add, if you are doing the Big Brake Lebaron swap, these are the hubs you need, as the Lebaron is a Top Hat design same as the Grand Am, only with larger 10.25 rotors. (you need brackets and Caddilac calipers for the back with Blazer calipers for the front with the Lebaron swap)
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 8:01pm
Well sort of. These hubs are specially sized for the grand am rotor hole.
If someone is doing some other upgrade they need to tell me so we can
make sure they fit.

I think the Lebarons have an even bigger hole. If so no problem.

Dawg
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 11:20am
how much for them with no exchange / core ?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2013 at 4:03pm
Hmmmm...don't have many cores so not really into that.

I would normally double the price. If you are serious, PM me.

Dawg

ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Hmmmm...don't have many cores so not really into that.

I would normally double the price. If you are serious, PM me.

Dawg

ok i will pull mine off and we can swap..
where are you located ??
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 12:40pm
Burnaby near lake city Costco. (Lougheed mall)

Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:29pm
Ok....brought home a set today.

Whenever you are ready.

Dawg
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:40pm
i assume this is for me :) ...im thinking maybe sunday ?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 7:43pm
PM me your number so we can hook up. Sunday should be fine.

Dawg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic