West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Alignment
    Posted: 11 June 2021 at 12:29pm
I just had my wheel alignment done today.  What a big improvement over my previous alignment. 

In the lifetime of my Fiero, I have had the wheel alignment done 4 times now.  

There really isn't much you can do with a Fiero as most of the stock suspension is fixed and not adjustable. 

The suspension wheel alignment settings are different from year to year.  I know that for a fact now.  As each time, the person(s) doing the wheel alignment made the rash assumption that they could take the numbers from any year Fiero and they would all be the same.   

I was told the previous alignment was the numbers from 1987.  I never liked it as there was very little road feel in the steering and the car tended to oversteer.  It felt dangerous in a freeway cloverleaf on or off ramp where there was decreasing radius turn.  It was difficult to judge the turn as car would turn with no feel to the proportion of what you were doing with the steering wheel.  

I'm not sure what settings my friends at Fred's Automotive used, but it's pretty good.  Less understeer than the factory settings, but still a little bit, that I felt safe going into a corner a bit fast.   and plenty of roadfeel in the steering wheel, like the car was new.  

So if you are feeling your Fiero isn't handling as well as before, consider getting a wheel alignment done.  Be careful that the alignment you get is for the year of your car.  

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic