West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'88 GT - Worth bringing to Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote UKVettedream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '88 GT - Worth bringing to Canada?
    Posted: 20 April 2019 at 7:40am
Hi,

I am in the process of emigrating to Vernon, BC from the UK and I am think of bringing a few cars with me.

One of the cars I have is a 1988 Fiero GT. It's absolutely in Mint condition and was originally sold new from a dealer in Montreal and shipped directly to Switzerland. I bought it there from the 1st owner and have had it ever since.

These cars are relatively unknown in the UK (they have a small following on the continent) and as such, aren't worth much here.

My question is would it be worth bringing with me to BC ?

As stated, it's a 1988 GT, 112k Kms, White, Auto, Sunroof, Cloth interior - absolutely stock standard and unmolested. One strange thing about it is it has the factory A/C delete - I have never actually seen a Fiero with no A/C before ! I have all manuals and paperwork and some maintenance history.

I'd appreciate your viewpoint on this.

Thanks,

Graham
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2019 at 2:33pm
From a cost perspective, I don't think it makes sense. You can likely find good example 88 GT in BC for around $5k CAD if you watch Craigslist for long enough. Assuming it's $1500 CAD to ship yours (I'm guessing), you only need to be asking $3500 CAD (~2000 GBP) to break even.

Of course cost is not everything. If you are as sentimentally attached to your car as many of us are, then I would say go for it. On the other hand, if you enjoy the restoration process, then buying a less than perfect car and fixing it up will be easier here due to more available spare parts.

Fieros without A/C are relatively common in Canada. From my experience it's about 50/50 whether it has A/C or not.
88 Formula 5 speed

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 2:31pm
If your car is pretty well stock, in BC, it can qualify for Collector car plates.    This is as long as you have another car as your daily driver. 

Then, as long as you don't drive it to work or school, you have a car you can drive around for very little to insure.  

My car is an 85 SE.   Manual transmission, no AC.  

I know of a few people who shipped their cars from Europe to Halifax and then drove it home across the country.    

It would be cool if you kept your European plates on your car. 

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic