Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First fill up in maybe a year...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First fill up in maybe a year...
    Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:37pm

Nice to stretch her legs, not liking some of the sounds but I'll run her for a few days and see how things turn out...forgot how low she is
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 11:14pm

Oooo, it's a start.  Next autocross is the BCCC event on Saturday, June 15th!

Brian, I've got a nice power bleeder here if you'd like a hand flushing out your clutch/brake hydraulics.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 6:15am
I don't think autox will be part of the plans this year until I can fix that exhaust leak...but I do need that bleeder back:). Questions, the cheap and easy to flush my clutch would be to just start adding dot3 and try in time to flush out the dot5 instead of taking it all apart and rebuild?...

I'll certainly try to come out and say hi soon...chat soon Patrick:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 11:52am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

...but I do need that bleeder back

Damn, I better finish with it then.

Questions, the cheap and easy to flush my clutch would be to just start adding dot3 and try in time to flush out the dot5 instead of taking it all apart and rebuild?...

Brian, I don't think that's a good idea. Let's do it the right way. I can come over and help you.

We need to get all the DOT5 out of there before DOT3 is used. IMO, the clutch master and slave need to come off and be completely disassembled and cleaned with alcohol. We also need to flush alcohol through the clutch hydraulic line, followed by a flush with DOT3. Then we can reassemble the whole works and fill with DOT3. Doing it any other way could potentially cause you nothing but problems with DOT3/DOT5 contamination.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 12:19pm
Appreciate that Patrick...but as of this morning there is a electrical drain which has to be the MSD box, the car does not hold a charge overnight at all...I don't know if I have it in me with this car anymore...back to work, chat soon:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 1:00pm

...as of this morning there is a electrical drain which has to be the MSD box, the car does not hold a charge overnight at all

The electrical drain could be anything, but I'd suspect the headlight motors before anything else. It's happened with two of my Fieros.

What occurred with mine was that the power wasn't being cut to the headlight motors after the headlights went down. One way to test for this particular problem is to unplug the single wire that goes to each headlight motor. This doesn't effect the headlights going up when they're turned on, but the headlights won't go down when the headlights are turned off. The headlights can be wound down manually (only takes about a minute apiece), but the advantage is that no power is going to the motors when it isn't supposed to. Try it and see if your battery stays charged.

Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 5:05pm
hi, pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between DOT3 and DOT5 fluid?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by Rob N. Rob N. wrote:

hi, pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between DOT3 and DOT5 fluid?

Google is your friend.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 5:15pm
Brian, charge up the battery and drive the car around, then park it and unplug the large 4 pin connector for the MSD Box and then re-check the car in the morning. I have the Same MSD box as your car and have not had an issue with it. I will bet that the MSD box is not your problem and more likely an issue with either the trunk light switch or as Patrick mentioned the headlight motors. ?? Are the headlight motors hot or warm to the touch on the morning after? Obviously you would need to charge the car again and check it first thing in the morning.   The Fiero has minor issues, its a 27 year old car, but you have all the biggies like engine and trans in perfect shape. Suspension is also great. The market is really bad right now, I would say fix it and drive the heck out of it. The enjoyment will be well worth it.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 6:31pm
Here you go Rob: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/ types-of-brake-fluid1.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/ types-of-brake-fluid1.htm
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 6:33pm
David...where are you running the power for the MSD, I am going direct red to positive and black to negative...I installed this at your place, and ever since I have had drain problems...gotta go pick up K...chat shortly
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 7:15pm
I drove it to work the day before David, planned to take her to Aircare today and woke up to the car dying like she did. So I left the charger on today and just back from a boot and she is fine, now the question is will she drain tonight...cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 8:35pm
Need a new tack plug, mine is melted...lol. I disconnected the wire and went stock and she fired up way better...maybe it's the MSD box?. Pizza and back to changing the tires and let's see if she fires up tomorrow morning:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 10:00pm
Wow..took it out and back, then changed the tires and had music on aux, tried to take a test drive and battery is dead...MSD is disconnected, alarm acting up and want to rip the F&$*3 thing out, need to find the fuse for that, Cracker do you remember?.

R&C time
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Brian, I must've been in the basement or back yard when you phoned yesterday. I ended up using the bleeder last night to flush out the brake hydraulics on the "project" GT that I have here. Thought I better get that done before I return your bleeder.

My offer still stands to help you properly flush that DOT5 out of your GT's system.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 2:29pm

Brian, I must've been in the basement or back yard when you phoned yesterday. I ended up using the bleeder last night to flush out the brake hydraulics on the "project" GT that I have here. Thought I better get than done before I return your bleeder.

My offer still stands to help you properly flush that DOT5 out of your GT's system.

Cool...will need it soon, just home and may head out for a cruise...will call if we stop by
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic