West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

13 high-end luxury cars impounded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 2:23pm
seems to me if they can own the car, they could buy the track time... this is never a good ending to going fast. 

excessive speeding in the city is sort of like shooting a bullet into a crowd and hoping to miss...

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by CFoss CFoss wrote:

For this reason I'm going to take my car (once it's done) to the track to really run it hard.

Good choice.    If you have any questions about track driving, including which groups are good to run with then drop me a line.  I know all the key guys in the local track scene and can help point you in the right direction based on your goals.

But, when you have a km or more visibility stright line any day of the week (Lake Cow hwy) it's hard not to pull the trigger once in a while.

Include great sight lines to the left/right for wildlife issues as well.  Animals can move fast and can jump right in front of you without much warning.

Why someone would open it up on Knight St. or other main artery is beyond me! At least on the highway there is some room, but at 200k things come up reallly quick. Too quick.

At Portland International Raceway (PIR), I can hit 240km/h in my car every lap.  Things do happen fast at that speed and especially if you are off-line passing someone on the curved back straight.  On the front straight, 240km/h is quite boring.  Straight.  Flat.  Yawn.

However, even on a seemingly flat-ish stretch, things can go very wrong.  One time at PIR, it was wet and a buddy hit the crest of a small rise under full throttle at about 130km/h.  That grip reduction, along with the rear suspension unloading a bit and all the horsepower he had in his car caused the drive wheel to spin (no LSD).  That sent him into a spin, flying off the track and he went into a wall, completely destroying his beautiful Porsche.  This sort of thing can easily happen on a regular road.  Those occasional dips and crests that you experience at 100km/h are very different at higher speeds.

Cheers,
Allan
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 1:30am
Capt comes in looks around, realizes this an argument he can't win and wanders back into the darkness.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
InfernoFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 1:37am
My opinion: We should have something like the Autobahn!
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 6:46am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Capt comes in looks around, realizes this an argument he can't win and wanders back into the darkness.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by InfernoFiero InfernoFiero wrote:

My opinion: We should have something like the Autobahn!

Autobahn with competent drivers = Autobahn

Autobahn with Canadian drivers = Crashing

Although many are loathe to admit it, 99.9% of the time speed is not the concern, the drivers are. The reason you don't see a huge spike in crashes on the Autobahn over the Canada 1 is because the drivers there are competent enough to handle it. You aren't going to have someone trying to move over to the left with a driver pulling up at 150MPH on the left and they know it. Canadian drivers, in comparison, are morons and try to merge when there is clearly not enough room. Which is why we end up more crashes on the Canada 1 compared to the Autobahn.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 7:51pm
Something the cops don`t want to talk about is that the leading indicator of crashes involving speed is not the amount oveer the limit, its the percentage differential between the speed limit and the speed travelled. In other words, 30k over in a 50 zone is deadly (60%), but not nearly so much in a 100k zone (30%).

But they wouldn`t make any money that way would they!!!!

It sucks that there aren't more tracks around, and more support for them, but that's how it is. At 17....it's the same old thing; immediacy.
86 SE 3.4
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:24pm
I don't know if I can even blame the lack of tracks (Not that I'm arguing against that, in case any city planners are reading!). I know since starting autocross my speed on the road has slowed... None at all. Sure, it's nice to go absolutely balls out at autocross, and push it to the absolute limit, but that doesn't suddenly replace the desire to still zip about when commuting. Not condoning trying to do 200 in heavy traffic, but CFoss nailed it: When you're on the street in a decent car, and it's safe to do so, one will typically go fast. Anyone claiming a Lamborghini doing 140km/h is "racing" though, is being asanine... Driving quickly? Yes. Speeding? Yes. Racing? Not a damn chance.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 3:53pm
I'm going to chime in here with a bit of a rant. The original article regarding the 12 exotic cars is sensationalized media reporting similar to the National Enquirer.

I would guess that the 12 cars were members of a car club on a club drive, perhaps to dinner, and were speeding. If they were excessively speeding, the fines would have been a lot more than $197. $197 is the charge for a speeding ticket. To say "witnesses report there were doing over 200Kph" only says that those unknown accusers were doing over 200kph themselves. Those cars look like they're going fast while parked. They have cameras at the tunnel and at they Hwy 10 junction. They can calculate how fast they were going and "have no evidence to see they were even speeding".     

In yesterday's Province paper on another article, I note how watered down the story became when they mention the 12 exotic car incident. They were issued $197 fines. Nothing else. A big deal is made of the value of the cars but they're exotic cars.   I agree with Romeo here. Not a chance they were racing.

Impounded? Probably only until they proved ownership of the cars. Those cars are likely leased, or rented for the day.

Okay...I got that off my chest.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic