West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my 87 blue GT update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my 87 blue GT update
    Posted: 06 August 2011 at 11:34am

Hi, I had just purchased a blue GTmentioned at the last meeting in July that needed work to get back on the road. Well after a new oil pan gasket, oil change,eng mount ,gas filter, fan belt,rear brake rebuild, cable replacement,front wheel brgs & shocks, entire exhust system (thanks David) . It actually passed air care with flying colours! So if you see a Blue GT driving arround Langley, it's me! 

I have heard that my old 2m4 (silver with black stripes) has been seen driving around Quoquitlam.

Rob

I hav

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 11:46am

Originally posted by Rob N. Rob N. wrote:

I have heard that my old 2m4 (silver with black stripes) has been seen driving around Quoquitlam.

I'm not sure where that is, but it sounds like an exotic place!

Perhaps it's time to change your avatar image?

DannyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DannyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 12:33pm
I saw a blue GT an Thursday on 72ave in newton arround
12ish. Was that you?
88 duke, bog standard
Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2011 at 2:21pm

yup that was me. I was driving it around with some good gas in it before it went through aircare.

I tried to put a new inmmage but it was too many picels . Couldn't figure out haw to save it with less.

Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 8:22am

Now that I've done some more time on the road with this GT, the issue that I have is when you driving with no increase of power, the car tracks stright , doesn't pull left or right. But when you boot it, the car want to go to the right, take your foot off the gass and the car moves back to the left. Anyone has any ideas?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 6:26pm

Originally posted by Rob N. Rob N. wrote:

But when you boot it, the car want to go to the right, take your foot off the gass and the car moves back to the left. Anyone has any ideas?

That's the highly sought after accelerator steering option only offered in '87. Works wonders on the autocross track.

But seriously...

That's a common problem. Indicates play in the rear end. Could be the whole cradle shifting... aluminum cradle bushings would cure that nicely. Or could be worn suspension bushings (ie. control arms), or maybe loose/worn rear inner/outer tie-rods.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 8:05pm

Remember those toe link rods I told you to you save.....  

Also can be a bad bearing or rearl lower ball joint.

However first thing to check is the cradle bolts.  1st make sure they are all there, 2nd make sure they are all tight.  Especially the right rear cradle bolt.  As that tends to be the one that is most common to works its way loose and fall out.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 8:18pm
When I had a similar issue with my car, it actually turned out that the hole at the bottom of the rear knuckle had somehow become slightly oval, and the shaft of the ball joint was allowed to move around slightly because of that.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2011 at 8:37pm

There you go Rob, it's something in the rear end!

Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 8:38pm

After Damian had a look at the car on Sunday, We decided to start with the transmission mounts as the engine  no longer sits level with the new eng mount. I've checked all the cradle bolts and the are all there and so tight i can't move them. So it might be the front cradle bushings, the A arm bushings or the a bad bearing or rearl lower ball joint. or the toe link rods...

So first it's the transmission mounts cause I think they are shot if ith en is'n level anymore. In order , what should I do/replace after that?

Rob N. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 1:34pm

After the capt took my GT for a spin , , we figured the  rear passanger bushings were short, so I replced them with poly and there was a small change for the better. Then The Capt reminded me of a bunch of parts that I had picked up at a garage sale and in them were the set of rear toe link rods, sure enough that seemed to be the problem, not at the ball joint, but at the end that bolts on to the frame.

Now i need to do the bushings on the dvr side and the cradles

Rob

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic