Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Harrison�s 88GT 3800SC1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 12:55pm
So inquiring minds want to know, what are you plating?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:18am
I'll plate whatever I can that would benefit from it. Any nut, bolt, scre, washer I take off I'd like to plate before reinstalling. Small brackets, trunk latches, that sort of stuff.

I still need to pick up the stuff for the yellow chromate, so everything will have that yellowish sheen to it. If that ends up looking off for some of the things that used to be black I might try to get some black chromate for those parts.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2017 at 12:20pm
Sounds awesome.   Can't wait to see the results of it all.

Now that Lisa and I are out here in Abby, I need to have you over one of these days for Coffee.   I'd love to pick your brain about that LSD you put in your Getrag.     I am curious if it makes the transaxle stronger to any degree.    Seeing as I have the trans just sitting out of the car in the corner if I was going to do it, now would be the time.   Just don't want to toss in a bunch of time and money if the transaxle is going to explode just as fast as I am expecting it to.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 6:05am
Did you manage to fix the board (aka, figure out what the torched resistor was!)?

If not - look on the underside, and see what pin it went to on the IC.  Get the number off the IC, then look up a bunch of random schematics, and see if it's a common value going to that pin.

All I can see of whats left, is that it'll be a low number (first ring is black - "0").

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 8:40am
Sounds good Dave, I work just off Sumas so could stop by after work sometime.

I have not had any time to fix it yet, been pretty busy lately. First band looks to be green I'm pretty sure, especially compared to the other ones that do have a black band. I'll try looking for a number somewhere on the board and seeing if that leads me anywhere.
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 1:36pm
I looked up the numbers found on the bottom of the board, and found photos of a power supply with a board with the same numbers! Unfortunately it was not the same board and was no help :(

I tried a few different resistors, 500k and 5k ohm changed nothing. 51 ohm let the smoke out quickly and brightly, so I figure that's close enough to the right value, and my problem lies elsewhere. I will have I keep digging, or buy a new one.

I made progress on the fiero too!

Got the front of the chassis painted:

As well as the upper rad support.

I also made a new rolling workbench/winter tire storage.

Ended up a bit tall, but I can always shorten it if it is a problem. Gotta love the coated 27mm birch plywood for the top surface though.

Edited by D_sensitized - 24 August 2017 at 11:15pm
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:24pm
Still making progress.

Finally got everything set up for zinc plating, it's putting zinc on things, but not as nicely as I would like, so still need to play with it some more.
Power supply had a dead transistor, so once I figured that out I got t working again.

I have repainted both radiator crossmembers and crashbar. Cleaned up and reinstalled the wiring harness and headlight module, as well as the crashbar.

I've also cleaned up a bunch of other parts, radiator shroud and fan, some rubber bits, I painted the windshield cowl, and also one of the wheel well liners, but not sure if I'll do the rest, I'll see how the one holds up.

I won't have time to do much at all to the exterior of the car, so it will still have a super scratched up roof and rock chips peppering the whole front end at the PPPCC show.

I still need to figure out if my radiator was leaking, and re run my new battery cables and it would be driveabable.

Edited by D_sensitized - 24 August 2017 at 11:22pm
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:05pm
Still gotta figure out how to make it shinier. And why that one spot didn't get plated and sand blast it better.
Before/after zinc/ after chromate

Edited by D_sensitized - 24 August 2017 at 11:19pm
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 8:41am
I did get my car back together for the pontiac show, but haven't done much with it since.
Here are some more photos, I ended up running out of time to get all the last nuts and bolts plated, and when I get around to figuring out how to make it shinier, I will pull a bunch of the visible ones off and re plate them eventually.

I also got rid of the power distribution block by the C500 connector and all of the fusible links. Most of those wires were getting worn and corroded and giving me issues. They all got power from through the firewall and went right back into the firewall after anyway. So added a fuse box inside my centre console to replace the fusible links.

This is also the last time I'll be using photobucket, so hopefully I'm far enough from my limit they don't screw up all my existing photos.

Edited by D_sensitized - 27 July 2017 at 12:48pm
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2017 at 8:18am
I have been working on new stuff too.

Making a plate to block the silencer ports on my other supercharger.

And I also started cleaning up the brass/copper radiator. Gonna make it all shiny.

-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by D_sensitized D_sensitized wrote:

This is also the last time I'll be using photobucket, so hopefully I'm far enough from my limit they don't screw up all my existing photos.

Well poo.

I'll have to make some time to go back and fix it all.
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:26pm

Well poo.

I'll have to make some time to go back and fix it all.

What are you using to post now ?
I'll be letting go PhotobucketOuchOuch at $40 a month ($400 a year)Shocked
Johnny-B-Good

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 8:29pm
Imgur seems to be what a lot of people recommend. So that's what I have switched to.

Flickr seems to be another good one, ken uses it, but I never have.
-Harrison
Chilliwack
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 12:33pm
Slowly working on little things here and there now.

Wrinkle coated my other supercharger.

I finally managed to get a smaller pulley from pick a part off an earlier series 1:

I wish I had a stock series 2 pulley just to compare for the photo, it's a full inch bigger than the bigger one here. 3.8", 2.8", 2.55".

Finished making the brass end tanks shiny:

Not sure that it does all that much, but added some aluminum tape above the dome lights as a reflector. I like to think it makes it brighter. I have cheap LEDS in there now.

-Harrison
Chilliwack
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2017 at 4:21pm
I'll check to see if I have any plastic mirror here anymore. See you at Captains. ...?   
Fieroman88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic