West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ยป General Fiero Chat ยป Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’84 in progress...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 7:03pm

I've returned to this thread after a long absence because I have some exciting news, but first an update.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I'm purposely holding off reporting what springs I used. I'll take some pictures of the actual car and how it now looks... and then I'll reveal what was done.

Here's a shot (from a frame of video) taken at one of the autocross sessions last fall...

It's probably no secret now after all this time, but yes, I used the stock springs with two complete coils cut off front and back. I'm very happy with the stance, and with the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks/struts, the ride is nice and firm.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---

So what's the big news, eh?

It's only taken me 6 1/2 years since I bought it, but the '84 is now finally running, registered, AirCared, and... drumroll please... insured!

I gotta show you the AirCare readings. Clynt helped me install a "lightly used" cat I bought on eBay for 20 bucks, yes $20, and that included shipping.  What can you get for 20 bucks? Well, take a look at these readings!

The previous readings (which failed) were with no cat. But man oh man, look how low the current readings are. Far lower than they've EVER been!

The duke is ready to rumble!

I've mentioned his name briefly already, but I gotta mention it again. Clynt has been a lot of help with this car. If it wasn't for Clynt and being able to use his yard (and hoist, etc), I could not have resurrected this car. Thanks very much buddy!

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 7:20pm

I like that height for sure!  You say it's nice and firm...eh?  Can you imagine what my 18's ride like? .

Looking Good.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2011 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

Looking Good.

Thanks Kevin.

With a little (okay, a lot) of help from John Carlo, I'm hoping to improve/finish the rear deck, spoiler, hood and nose. Should only take a weekend or two, eh Johnny?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:04pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I used the stock springs with two complete coils cut off front and back. I'm very happy with the stance, and with the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks/struts, the ride is nice and firm.

I was discussing installing sway bars and custom end links with Colby on page 4 of This thread, and I went out to look at my factory end links. Something else caught my eye. See anything unusual in this shot?

The bumpstop is sitting right on my lower control arm!  No wonder the ride is so "firm"!  I guess I haven't had a close look at my suspension since I lowered it while the suspension was compressed.

I may need to make some alterations here...

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 11:09am
Doh! When I lowered my SE I sliced off almost 1" of
bump stop.

Cheers
Kevin
08GSXR1000
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 11:19am

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

When I lowered my SE I sliced off almost 1" of bump stop.

Kevin, did you happen to notice how much you could actually get away with when cutting off the bumpstop? There needs to be some rubber left there obviously to prevent metal on metal impact, but could you have removed more than an inch?

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 1:28pm
Sorry Patrick. I dont remeber exactly but i recall it was a good chunk
removed.   Cheers!
Kevin
08GSXR1000
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 1:46pm
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/faq/front_bump_stop.html

Quote Front bump stop relocation procedure

For proper suspension travel for your lowered vehicle it will be necessary to relocate the bump stop perch พ” higher than stock. Figure 1 represents the stock suspension components before modifications. In Figure 2 you will see the bump stop perch has been relocated. This is done by removing the bump stop perch from the chassis with a saws-all ( or similar ), removing พ” of material from the bump stop mount that you just removed, then welding it to the front cross member after removing material. Once this procedure is complete, coat the exposed steel with protective epoxy paint or equivalent. Figure 2 shows the welding seam that will be left over after the procedure. This will net the same suspension travel as stock before lowering, as well as cure the common side effects of lowering such as bottoming out on the bump stops which makes for poor ride quality.

Tools necessary for procedure

Saws-all or cut-off wheel
MIG welder
Grinder ( to expose steel for welding )

All necessary tools to disassemble and reassemble front suspension components

Wrenches and sockets – 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and 18mm
Pry bar
Zip tie ( to support brake caliper away from suspension )
T60 Torx bit socket
Assorted Cotter pins
Pliers

88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 2:03pm

Thanks Colby. I've seen that page, and that's exactly what Clynt did to his choptop. However, I don't have the required tools to cut and weld that metal "cone" on each side. (Being the good guy he is, Clynt probably would've helped me with this, but he's recently moved and no longer has a "shop" in his backyard.)

I was hoping that simply cutting down the rubber bumpers (like Kevin did) would be enough, but I won't really know until I can at least take a closer look at what I'm dealing with.

[EDIT] Continued Here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic