West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Took the 88 to Aircare today.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Took the 88 to Aircare today.
    Posted: 07 November 2008 at 4:13pm
Well this was the oddest Aircare visit I have had yet.

I did not do anything special to my car aside from bump the idle up to 1300rpms. I left the old cat on, didn't do an oil change or anything. I had the stock ECM in and even had the timing bumped up to 12 degrees.

We pull up to Aircare, get in line.   I quickly jump out, and nudge up the idle a bit. Get back in the car and hold the rpms up at 2500 or so to make sure the cat gets good and hot. I pull into the station, first off the guy can't find the Cat, he looks under the front, under the rear of the car, I swing my door open and point just ahead of the rear tire. he still can't see it, but says its alright he'll trust me. So he tests the gas cap and waves me forward.   As I pull up to the Dyno, the guy looks at me strange when my front tires cross the Dyno and I keep going. He waves at me and comes to the door and asks, with a puzzled look on his face, Is this a rear wheel drive? I chuckle and say yes. He says Oh OK, and lets me drive it into position.

He says to put it in park and set the E-Brake. I said uhm, you mean neutral as this is a stick, he says OK. I get out of the car with Lisa and we go stand in the booth. I watch him, he puts the sniffer on one exhaust tip and then tries to put the hose around it, it wont' fit, so he takes it off, goes and gets a bigger hose and finally gets the sniffer in and the larger hose around the tips. Then he See's the other side has tips too. So he goes back and gets another sniffer and an adapter and big hose. He leaves and I see the Dyno lower the car onto the rollers, then it looks like his boss comes over and says something to him. Next thing I know, they are raising the Dyno back up and car is not on the rollers. I am thinking What the Fu**. I wave and he comes to the booth, I ask him what is going on, is there something wrong.   He said he was having a hard time getting the hoses to seal on my exhaust. I asked well why is the car off the rollers? Apparently his boss felt my "stock height, stock wheels and tires" Stock 88GT was TOO LOW. They felt it was too low and were not able to do a Dyno test on the car.   I was about to get mad, when he interrupts and says, they will just do a high idle and idle test.

The guy leaves, and I see him in my car, fiddling with the shifter, then wiggles it some more, then taps the gas, then steps on the clutch, then wiggles the shifter, then gets out of the car. I'm trying to figure out what is going on, he comes back to the booth and asks me, Is the car in neutral. I am thinking to myself, the car is running, the E-Brake is on, and the tires are not moving, I sure as hell hope its in neutral. Does this guy not know anything about cars?

I answer him and say uhm, ya it is.   He exits the booth and goes back to my car. He climbs in and starts reving it up. I am watching the monitor, and it keeps saying, sample error, test restarting.   he gets out, fiddles with the exhaust sniffer and gets back in the car. Finally, he starts reving it to 2500 and holds it there, then lets it idle down. He gets out of the car, apologizes for the delay and tells me I can get back in my car.

I am still rather confused, but I pull up to the station where they give you your results. He smiles and says It PASSED.   

I look at the sheet and sure enough, the only thing it measured was the idle test.   I'll post up the sheet results shortly. But quickly the results were

Hydrocarbons 67 and CO% was 0.00 (Zero Carbon Monoxide)
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 4:54pm
Here is the scan of the sheet.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 5:02pm
Here is the scan from the last time I took it through. Whats odd is the average passing reading is now Lower than it was back in 2007

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 5:49pm

Dave, which AirCare was this? I'll take my GT there next week.

Seriously, which AirCare and which lane did you use?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 5:53pm

It was the main surrey one, 7910 130St. I started in lane #2, but the guy came out and flagged me into lane #4.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 6:19pm

Thanks. Since my idle readings were fine a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't mind being "waved through" the driving part of the test as you were if possible.

By the way, congrats for "passing" the test.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 10:23pm

Do you think they'd get suspicious if every Fiero owner in the Lower Mainland went to lane #4 of the AirCare facility in Surrey for their smog test?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic