West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mounted a heatsink under the distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:04pm
Shouldn't keeping ANY of the electrical circuits in the car produce more power? Remember, the key to superconductivity is cold. That's why the Large Hadron Collider can generate over 10,000,000,000eV, because they keep all the circuits close to absolute zero, making them literally more than ten times as effecient as if they simply focused exclusively on voltage.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Shouldn't keeping ANY of the electrical circuits in the car produce more power?

???

Was anyone suggesting we should be "keeping ANY of the electrical circuits" outside of the car?

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 1:15pm

Shouldn't keeping ANY of the electrical circuits in the car produce more power? Remember, the key to superconductivity is cold. That's why the Large Hadron Collider can generate over 10,000,000,000eV, because they keep all the circuits close to absolute zero, making them literally more than ten times as effecient as if they simply focused exclusively on voltage.

Hmmm maybe that's why I find those females "superconductive."
I wanna go fast.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

???

Was anyone suggesting we should be "keeping ANY of the electrical circuits" outside of the car?

Oops, after car, there should be the word "cooler".

And Matt, you're my hero. lol

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 7:03pm

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Remember, the key to superconductivity is cold.
Matt, you're my hero. lol

Matt is your "hero" because the women he meets are "cold"? Geez, how much fun can they be?  

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 7:13pm

???

Oops, after car, there should be the word "cooler".

Ummm, you want it to read like this...

"Shouldn't keeping ANY of the electrical circuits in the car cooler produce more power?"

Let's get this straight... You want to be packing electrical circuits around in your car cooler to produce more power?

Tristan, are the drugs there more potent than here in BC or what?

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 9:40pm

Matt is your "hero" because the women he meets are "cold"? Geez, how much fun can they be?  

Tones of fun! Don't you like a challenge?
I wanna go fast.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:00pm
Patrick, the water idea doesn't work because the ambient becomes the 200f water. The normal air ambient/dist base has to be way less than that.

It's analagous to a dc electric circuit, where the 'common' is the ambient temp, the 'positive' is the transistor junction temp, the current is the powerflow and there are thermal impedances, which resemble resistors.

A good description on the electronics analogy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_resistance_in_electroni cs

If you research it, junction temps are considered very high (unreliable, no kidding) at the 200 deg mark.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 10:16pm

Originally posted by CFoss CFoss wrote:

Patrick, the water idea doesn't work because the ambient becomes the 200f water.

Chay, keep in mind I pulled that number out of the air, or should I say water?  Coolant returning from the radiator is probably well below that temperature. Maybe it's 150F or so.

The normal air ambient/dist base has to be way less than that.

Geez, I dunno about that. Do you really think the air temperature around the base of the distributor is less than say... 150F on a hot summer day after the engine has been brought up to temperature while running a 195F thermostat?

No doubt you know a hundred (maybe a thousand?) times more about electronics than me, but I'm not so sure my question below was completely off the mark. 

So Chay, how does that differ from the module sitting on the base of the distributor (with or without an added heat sink)? Wouldn't "heat soak" from the hot air under the decklid do the same thing, especially if the engine is restarted shortly after being turned off on a hot summer's day?

What would be interesting to find out though, is just what the temperature at the base of the distributor stabilizes at while the car is being driven. If that temperature is consistantly lower than whatever the temperature is of the returning coolant, then yes, I'd agree that having the ignition module cooled by engine coolant would be completely impractical.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2009 at 11:16pm

Tones of fun! Don't you like a challenge?

I'm getting too old for challenges. I want immediate gratification!

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 10:19am

It's all speculation, like you said. But when I engineer something I look at the best and worst case scenario...say the car overheats...then where does your cooling scheme go...I'd hate to overheat AND lose the ig module in 1 go!

I really don't think the ambient around the dist base is that hot. The reason is that air moves. When it heats up it convects, lowering the temp again, and so on. It's not really captive in there, it's sorta captive. The heat transfer from the ex man. is radiant, not convective, so if we radiant shielded the ex manifold (Ie: a piece of sheet metal) on the dist side, then added the heat sink, the solution is pretty good.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 10:33am

It's all speculation, like you said...

Of course, it's all speculation and conjecture, but it makes for interesting discussion nevertheless. Thanks Chay!

ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2009 at 7:54pm
Wow ive looked at most of this thread an have come to the conclusion
that theres a prob with HEAT in the ignition module pick up.a lot of good
ideas here,an technical analysis! trobbl is i understand all of it. the good
Capt Fiero had the right idea with moveing it to a differnt local where
theres not as much heat.an Patrick an Dawg with mounting a heat sink
under is a quick inexpensive way to do it to.myself iam going to use a
vary unique remote sodium heat sink from a computer,no power
required.it uses Thermal conductivity to move the heat away an if you add
induction in there,mount it closer to the Exhost,it will pull heat from the
cooler point,ignition module.in theory this should work,has yet to be
tested?
W/m-k.