West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dang it, I had to abandon my GT in N. Van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dang it, I had to abandon my GT in N. Van
    Posted: 22 October 2008 at 6:14pm

Curses, I wanted to AirCare my GT today. Thought I'd go to the North Van location (from my home in east Van) so I could get the cat good and hot on the Upper Levels Highway. I also took the 180 thermostat out and put the 195 thermostat back in to get the engine itself hotter to hopefully lessen emissions.

Well, I got it hotter alright. I appear to have fried something as the car stalled on the highway and died. After it cooled off a bit, it started again, and I exited the highway at the Westview exit. I drove for a short bit and it died again. This time it wouldn't start, even after an hour of waiting. It'll crank over and I smell gas, but that's it.

I've had the car since March and it's never stalled and/or had trouble starting previous to this.

I had put in a Blaster coil and an Accel distrib cap/rotor last week. I'll be able to swap back the stock coil and old distrib cap/rotor if need be. I also have a new ignition module here. What I don't have is another pickup coil.

Here's hoping I'm able to get it going. I've heard of everyone else with a Fiero eventually having this happen. I guess it's my turn this time.

If it turns out it's the pickup coil (which I don't have and which also requires the distributor to be dismantled, is there someone in the club who could lend me a complete distributor just so I can drop it in and get my GT started and get it home?

I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with my GT in my own driveway as opposed to where it is right now.  (Luckily I have another car, my '94 Elantra, to use to chase parts with.)

Edited by Patrick
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 6:49pm
Usually when either the pickup coil or module fail, they will take the other along with it. Especially if you tried in vain to get the car to restart.   If I were you, (and trust me I have been in your spot a few times over the 15 years I have been driving Fieros) I would get a spare dist shaft, rebuild it and swap the entire unit out as one piece module pickup coil and shaft. If you take a digital camera with you, you can take snap shot of exactly where the rotor and dist shaft are pointing, then drop the new one into the car in the same spot. The timing may not be perfect but it will be good enough to get you where you were going.   On long trips, I always carry a complete dist shaft with me.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 7:02pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I would get a spare dist shaft, rebuild it and swap the entire unit out as one piece module pickup coil and shaft.

Believe it or not, just yesterday I was in contact with someone in the Mall at Pennock's about buying a distributor they were selling. Yes, my intention all along has been to have a spare complete distributor available to drop in.

Best of intentions isn't going to do me much good at the present. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Usually when either the pickup coil or module fail, they will take the other along with it. 

Is there any chance of harming a new ignition module if I connect it to a possibly fried pickup coil?

If I don't have to, I'd rather not take the distributor all apart (especially miles from home) to replace the pickup coil if it's just the module that's fried.

Edited by Patrick
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 8:55pm
Well drop in the new module, regardless it should fire up from ICE cold. Drive it home, then pull the dist shaft and replace the pickup coil. Or if you are in a real pinch I should be home most of the day tomorrow. You can bring the car here, I have a bin full of old dist shafts that need to be rebuilt to be installed. Or hell for that matter. You can take the one that is in my 88GT as I need to change it out to the new one that I have here. New one that I have has a custom heat sink machined to the base of it below the module. (custom made by a machinist that worked for I think Boeing)    I can show you how to take one apart, clean it, gap it, re-assemble it. If you know what you are doing it only takes about 20 Min's start to finish. Maybe I should take some pics of it and post up.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:18pm

Dave, thanks for the kind offer.

What I'll do is first thing tomorrow morning I'll drive over to North Van in my other car with tools and the new ignition module I already have. I'll also have the stock coil with me to swap out with the MSD Blaster coil if need be. If the GT starts, then great, I'll drive it home and then take the bus and the Seabus and another bus  to retrieve my Elantra.

If the GT won't start (because of the pickup coil), then I'll probably take you up on your offer to borrow your 88's distributor just to get my GT home (assuming it's an ignition problem).

Dave, I'll take your phone number with me and I'll call from North Van if I need to head your way for a distributor. Thanks.

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 12:20am

Dave, while I have your attention, I thought you might have a comment or two to post in This thread at Pennock's.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 2:52pm

Well, I packed up my tools and headed off to North Van to see if I could get my GT running. On the way I stopped at my local auto parts supplier (VAP) and picked up a pickup coil for $16 plus tax. Seemed like cheap insurance if I needed the coil.

Anyway, I was glad to see my GT wasn't on blocks. It still had four wheels and didn't appear to be tampered with.

It turned out it was the ignition module which had failed. Popped in the new one I had and she started right up.

Didn't bother to go through AirCare. Too much excitement already in the last 24 hours.

Now to take a bus downtown, take the Seabus to the North Shore, and then another bus to retrieve my Elantra. Ain't cars fun!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 5:52pm

I'm finally back.

Great way to eat up the day.

Thanks again Dave, for the offer of using one of your distributors. It turns out I didn't need it, but it was reassuring nevertheless that one was available if required. Much appreciated.

hangmans8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hangmans8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 8:33pm
did you try to start it when you got there! before you changed the module?
1987 gt 5spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by hangmans8 hangmans8 wrote:

did you try to start it when you got there! before you changed the module?

Do you think I'm some newb?

Yes, I tried to start it before I did anything else. No go.

I then unplugged and replugged the two connectors (to the module) on the distributor several times. Made no difference.

But as soon as I put that new ignition module in.... Va-rooooom!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 4:46pm

Thought I'd post a cell phone shot of where my GT spent the night.

I had just crossed those well used railroad tracks to the left of the shot when the ignition module packed it in for good.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 1:16am

Posted Here how I hope to help prevent this from occuring again.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic