West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sticking Gas Pedel(and other problems)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticking Gas Pedel(and other problems)
    Posted: 18 December 2007 at 5:46pm
Hello, I just recently signed  up to the forum and I have some tech questions. This past weekend, my dad and I just finished fixing my fiero(there was a shim missing between the flywheel and crank) and got it insured. While test driving it to day I noticed that the gas pedal sticks(noticed this before as well). Also the car idles slightly high(over a 1000 rpms, so I guess the timing is off) and no of no way to adjust the idle speed. But aside from those problems, and the fact I might need to change the clutch pedal, any help would be taken well.

Oh ya. My car is a 86 5 speed, four banger(alright), red in colour.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:21pm

High idle is usually caused by a vacuum leak or a bad Idle Air Control Valve.  Seeing as you just did major work to the car, I would check the vacuum lines.

A sticking gas pedal can be caused by a bunch of things, most notably a kink somewhere in the throttle cable, so I would check around where the cable goes into the firewall and follow it all the way back up to the throttle body.

As for timing, the only way to check that is with a timing gun.  Just make sure you have the ECM in diagnostic mode when you check the timing or you will be chasing your tail for ever.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Chicken Chaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 11:40pm
Vacuum leak, why didn't I think of that (that got covered in class for me today). But I seem to have temporally stopped the gas pedal from sticking with some tri-lock oil.

I shall get the scan tool and timing light tomorrow in class and do a wheel alignment. Thank you for the suggestions for checking the timing Capt.

Edit: And the game of find the leak also =\

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2007 at 6:13pm
Well, my fiero smoked like a kettle full of water and anti-freeze . Then again the overly long v-belt probably doesn't help much in that respect(or air bubbles that might be stuck in the system). But that's what the weekend is for. I'll figure this out eventually. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2007 at 7:23pm
Well, an overly long v-belt wasn't the problem, it was to tight. So a new belt got put in after the alternator was moved forwards. But my dad (who helps me with the stuff I am unable to do myself) noticed that there were bits of rubber flying off the belt. It turns out to be bits of old belt stuck in the inner valley of the crank pulley ( Any suggestions would be welcome for cleaning it out).

Then a few days later, while attempting to start my fiero, nothing happened. No click at all. The battery is fine and the starter was pulled out. Looks like a replacement in the near future.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by Chicken Chaser Chicken Chaser wrote:

Well, my fiero smoked like a kettle full of water and anti-freeze . Then again the overly long v-belt probably doesn't help much in that respect(or air bubbles that might be stuck in the system). But that's what the weekend is for. I'll figure this out eventually. 

Could it be time for a new waterpump? 

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 5:17pm
That's what I thought at first. But checked for free play in the pulley or if it was seized. Which neither are the problem, more the belt was overly tight and there's crap in the inner crank pulley. But on the bright side, I'm learning how to fix my car 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:51am
Look for any signs of water coming from the Weep Hole.  Its under the pully in the water pump housing.  If that is clear then you are good to go, however if there is any dampness around that hole it will be time for a water pump.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2008 at 9:51pm
Hhmm, I didn't know that was there. I'm just slightly confused, is it on the outside or the inside of the water pump. A guess is that it's on the outside. But my dad and I got the new starter in today and she starts, just idles lumpier now since the over heating scare (almost sounds like a classmates rx7 he had at the start of the school year, but not as bad), which could be the pistons aren't sitting right in the cylinders now due to expansion. If that's the case then some junk yard searching is happening when the insurance is up in march. But aside form that(and despite having over 239k km on the clock) the engine still refuses to conk out at the moment.

Why do I suddenly get the feeling this is turning from a fix in to a build.
Edit: But then again with the slightly lumpy idle, it could just be that the timing got knocked out of whack. Oh and something else I forgot, when I would try and take off when I first drove my car, it would try and cut out at times. Could be the fuel pump. =\ (If you think this would be better in the build section, by almeans move this topic).
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 10:07am
Its on the under side of the water pump near where the pulley attaches.  You can't really see it, so when the engine is OFF slide your hand around behind the bottom of the pulley and feel the pump housing for any collected water.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chicken Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 4:12pm
Dampness under water pump is zero. But on the the beset note for me this weekend, my car lives. Just had to reconnect a hose that was not on and the connector on the underside of the black box on the side of the air cleaner. Just gonna wait until thusday when I can have someone follow me to school just incase.

I also found $1.06 under the cover plate for the shifter when I went to oil the cables a bit. Thank you once again Capt and Beken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic