West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We've lost a friend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We've lost a friend
    Posted: 10 June 2020 at 6:06pm
It's been a long time since I've posted here, and I'm afraid it's to announce sad news.

I got a phone call two weekends ago from Kathy, Clynt's wife. She phoned to inform me that Clynt had passed away earlier in the month of May. 

I met Clynt back in July of 2008. I was about to attend my very first WCF of BC meeting, and had parked my '86 GT in the Ricky's parking lot (152nd and Fraser Hwy in Surrey). I was still standing by my GT, wondering how best to introduce myself to all these strangers milling about their own Fieros, and Clynt wandered over to check out the newb. He made me feel quite welcome, and we were friends from that point onward. 

Clynt was ever so helpful later that year when I needed to work on my '84 to renew the clutch and swap out the tranny for a 5-spd. We used the facilities inside his yard to drop the cradle etc. (Interesting to note, that the 5-spd I swapped in was bought from a father and son out in Abbotsford... Gary and Colby, who went on to join the club and become my friends.)

Clynt also assisted me when I wanted to install a hood vent. I had picked up a Fiero hood which already had a pre-made vent installed in it, but Clynt insisted it would be best to remove it from that particular hood and install it on another spare hood that I had acquired. The following video brings back many fond memories. 

I've gone on to use the vented hood we created on three different Fieros so far.

As the years went by, and the club sort of lost steam, Clynt and I eventually lost touch. I forget how long it's actually been, but it might've been five years or so since Clynt and I last spoke. Kathy's phone call was a rather sobering reminder that Father Time waits for no one.

Clynt was 74 years of age. Beneath a seemingly gruff facade, was a gentle man with a heart of gold. RIP my friend.

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 2:39pm
I am saddened by this news.  Thanks for letting us know, Patrick. 

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2020 at 12:18pm
Today was Clynt's memorial. Due to COVID-19 and the need for social distancing, it was a Zoom memorial. The world is a different place.

I was surprised and honored and humbled that the pastor read my entire opening post from this thread at the memorial. Some of the "Bondo Boys" video was even played. I'll be honest, I got choked. Cry

Clynt Gunnyon... gone, but not forgotten.

Edited by Patrick - 08 August 2020 at 2:51pm
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 11:14am

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 12:46pm
That's a very nice shot, Ken. It certainly captures the essence of Clynt. Thanks for posting it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic