West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum participation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum participation
    Posted: 07 July 2015 at 9:48am
Just a thought...there are 451 registered participants
on this forum. Most do not even have a profile.

Is there a way we can get clean-up of those who are no
longer interested ?

I was thinking everybody still interested should go in
and update their profiles, perhaps post a picture of
their car(s) whether they be Fieros or not so we can get
an idea of who is still interested.    

I understand that there have been a few who have upset
others and have been banned. I'm not a fan of permanent
bans as anybody who is interest, do have something to
contribute to discussions. Sometimes we just need to be
a bit more careful with what we say or how we say it.
We don't always have to agree, but we can all do our
very best to be respectful and civil.

I suspect we probably have about 100 or so interested
people on this forum. I could be wrong, but should a
few of us get together to review our forum policies (if
there are any) and perhaps take a look at making our
discussion more participatory ?

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 10:34am
Frankly until we get email notification working on posts, the forum will be working with a serious handicap.   There are forums that I may be away from for 3-4 years, but once in a blue moon I get an email that one of the topics I was watching back then got posted to, and I go back and check it out, then browse the rest of the forum and possibly make posts.

The issue here, that I personally Don't Know How to get the email replies working.  The last time I tried to make it work I broke the forum. Which scares the death out of me. As far as I know Colby is really tied up with school work to be able to work here.  If there is someone else that knows the forum software and will work with Colby or I to make it work right, I will be glad to let them step in and fix it.  To my knowledge there has only been 1 person asked to leave. 

Now as to member clearing out.  THat happens every few years.  Maybe its time to do that again.    
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 10:35pm
I did look into the issue of getting the email notifications working again a while ago and wasn't able to figure it out right away. It's been on my mind to try to get it working for a while now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I think part of the problem might be the significantly out of date forum software (the version we're on is from 2004) not playing nicely with the server.

As for the 451 registered members... I'm sure lots of them are bots and a bunch more of them are people posting just in buy/sell.

One thing I'd like to see is an introductions section where people can introduce themselves and their cars. I know that's sort of what the member rides section is for, but it's not really explicit.
88 Formula 5 speed

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 6:50am
Make sure you "like" my post here, or the system will auto delete
you. You have to forward to 100 friends within the next 10 minutes
as well.

Oh crap - no like button. Guess everyone's gone.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 4:44pm
Colby what is your email address, yes I lost it again.

I think I have made some headway in the email thing.  I added in the correct smtp info for info@westcoastfieros.com and now instead of just a generic error, it says it needs login/pass info added to the code.  However its in the coding of the software that it needs to be done which I am not even sure how to access.   Try going to "mass email" members and try sending a test message.   
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2015 at 9:43pm
I cleared out a bunch of users who hadn't posted. Went from 456 to 406. There are a lot of members with 1-2 posts who will never return.

I played with the email settings today and didn't make any real progress. As far as I can see, the only thing you can configure in the code (by editing files) are the database settings. I made a change to some DNS settings which can take a day to take effect, so I'll revisit it later.

But the more exciting news is that I've been playing around with a design for the main website. Take a look at let me know what you think:

http://www.westcoastfieros.com/html/

Oh, I should mention that all the pictures featured are Ken's from his Flickr page. 

Edited by Cheese
88 Formula 5 speed

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2015 at 10:19pm
Well done Colby I love the front page nice wide screen with action

Edited by Car-2-Lo
Johnny-B-Good

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2015 at 11:10pm
I managed to get the emails working again! 

And I made the new design live.

Edited by Cheese
88 Formula 5 speed

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 11:00am
Well done, Colby.

This forum is allowed to use any of my photos in the Fiero
Collection album on Flickr.

-- there. Explicite copyright granted.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 12:04pm
What a beautiful job,Best site on the net,Flash works well.
Congrats to who did it ,Well done!

SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 11:15am
Thanks Colby, glad to hear the emails are working again.
Site looks awesome, cool that there's a mobile view too now.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2015 at 12:30pm
One thing I noticed is that the front page has most recent topics, rather than most recent posts, so older topics like the build threads disappear don't show up anymore. Could that be changed back to recent posts regardless of topic like it was before?
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2015 at 10:17pm
Yeah that had been bothering me for a while too. The database structure is a little different with the new version and I hate working with Access databases so I put it off. It's done now.
88 Formula 5 speed

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 3:15pm
test 1...2....4.   

...Okay...this picture is a bit too big.  

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 3:25pm
Need a smaller picture for my signature.  I'm using this thread to import to the site and then adding it to my signature.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic