Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCA AutoX Sept 4 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCA AutoX Sept 4 2011
    Posted: 29 August 2011 at 4:38pm

http://porsche.jeffgrant.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3740

Registered...Allan will be co-driving my car, and I think there will be a few challenges to carry forth

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 4:44pm
ok...I guess I better sign up then.  

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:08pm
Is it going to be a problem for Rich if I don't know what car I'm driving yet? I want to sign up now to be sure I get in.
88 Formula 5 speed

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:35pm
About time Allan...co-drive the 914 again Colby?
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:47pm
I'm thinking about it but I'm much more comfortable in a Fiero. I'm just too big for the 914.

Patrick, did you want to co-drive again?
88 Formula 5 speed

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

About time Allan

Done.  Formally co-driving your baby.  Loser buys beer. 

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

About time Allan

Because I don't want to hear the excuses later in the day when I enjoy that beer, maybe we should catch up and let you drive car and get a feel for it?...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:26pm

About time Allan

Because I don't want to hear the excuses later in the day when I enjoy that beer, maybe we should catch up and let you drive car and get a feel for it?...lol

Thanks....but not required.  Imagine the look on your face if I do indeed pull off a better time without ever driving your car beforehand?  The beer would taste so much better. 

...and if I lose to you, well, I can always cling onto that excuse.  hahaha!
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 7:41pm

About time Allan

Thanks....but not required.  Imagine the look on your face if I do indeed pull off a better time without ever driving your car beforehand?  The beer would taste so much better. 

Really...wow, this will be a fun day

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 12:10pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Patrick, did you want to co-drive again?

Colby, I very much enjoyed the co-driving I did with you last Saturday, and with Brian on Sunday, but if we're both now relegated to again driving lowly dukes , we may as well each drive our own cars. Is that okay with you?

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:21pm
Well Colby wont be driving the Formula. ... a spun bearing was making the noise so it will be off the road for a bit for a crank turn (among other things)...

i am going to go and register. hoping for a cloudy day!
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:27pm
well... that was quick. i am now registered!
can't wait!

Gary
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:39pm
Ouch Colby...and Ya Gary:)...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:48pm
Sorry to hear that, Colby.  

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:04pm

That really sucks Colby, if its any condolence my 88GT is due to spin a bearing any day now.  I am getting bearing noise at light load around 3000 rpms.  I am up to 20w50 with a bottle of Lucas trying to get it a bit further, and I honestly think I have more blow by than I do have compression.  Really sucks that your motor popped, and as I recall that motor did not have too many miles on it.  If mine blows up before I leave for Oregon, maybe we can do a joint tech day and install motors together.  I have a spare 88 V6 motor that I am saving for when this one blows up.  Side note, they do make a high volume oil pump for the Fiero.  Its about $120 but has larger gears in the pump.  It has the same size spring so it won't over pressurize your system, however it will keep oil getting to worn out bearings.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:17pm
Yeah, it sucks. I realized afterwards that it had been making the noise at light load and 2000-3000 rpm several weeks ago. If I had a bit more experience and recognized the noise I could have caught it earlier. I don't want this to happen again any time soon so I'll definitely be buying the high volume pump.

Thankfully I still have the Duke and I've been curious to see if it really does have more grip in the sweepers than the Formula so I now have a chance to see for sure.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

...if we're both now relegated to again driving lowly dukes , we may as well each drive our own cars. Is that okay with you?

Yeah, that's fine. Just don't complain too much about my tires.

88 Formula 5 speed

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 10:56pm
I'm officially registered now.

At least you've driven my Fiero before, I'm sure Brian's has a similar feel to it.
88 Formula 5 speed

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:11pm
@Colby+Dave

We should do a tech day together and come up from the bottom to replace the rod bearings.  If we're lucky, the journals will be ok enough to buy us all some time.  I have the exact same issue.

A little 600 grit paper to polish up the bad journal if need be and the new bearing should last a good long while.  As long as everything is still fairly round. 

This would sure beat pulling the engine.

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:21pm
Well I took the oil pan off already to inspect it. I can post pictures but the impression I got from my dad was that it was damaged enough that simply replacing the bearings wouldn't buy me very much time. Though with my situation, I don't need the car to be drivable anytime soon so I'd rather take it all out and fix it properly.
88 Formula 5 speed

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

I'm officially registered now.

At least you've driven my Fiero before, I'm sure Brian's has a similar feel to it.

I'm so old that I've forgotten how the brakes, etc were.  A few flat-spotted tires will let me know in a hurry.  lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic