Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colby’s 88 Formula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 4:36am

Ya those mains don't look to bad at all, and being able to see the cross hatching means the motor does have low kms on it.  Glad to see that there were no major surprises. 

I would mix all the main and rod journals and see if you can get away with stock mains and then go .005 under rod bearings. 

I have used the clevite tri metal bearings before, a little more money, but in a 2.9 (bored out 2.8) with 10-1 compression, shifting at 7000rpms nitrous assisted, I destroyed a piston and tore the engine down the bearings still looked like new.  All make sure to pick up a high volume oil pump.  It has the same pressure relive spring as stock, however much larger gears in the pump.  It allows the use of 5w30 full synthetic for great oiling and yet still have 80+ psi of oil pressure.

Stock pistons will be fine just get some good rings.

Here is the cam I used and loved it.  Couple it with either 1.52 or 1.6 roller tip rockers and it was great.   Oh and pick up Comp Cams lifters 858-16 they are a fast bleed lifter.  At idle and below 3000rpm, they bleed down fast making an aggressive cam seem mild so you get great torque and idle.  However over 3000rpms, the lifters pump up fully and allow you to take full advantage of the cam with great high rpm power.  

Just in case you did not already have this info, this is from my 2.9 building days. 

Hope some of this helps.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 11:37am

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

... i am taking a small break from the motor and will post more pictures as i do more.

Gary... Colby... progress report?

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 12:06pm
Just back... updates as i can.

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 7:23pm
here are some shots of the block. Today i cleaned, and re-cleaned the thing until it was ready to take paint.

Before:

During:

After:

Now we are sort of waiting for parts. i will be cleaning up some of the brackets and tubes for painting. not too exciting.

Gary
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 8:20am
Noce work Gary...it will ne nice to have a new engine Colby, planning any upgrades while you have this all appart?
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 8:58am

Just please tell me you are going with a cam that has at least 450-460 total lift with whatever rockers you choose.  Also a great thing are the comp cams pro mag fast bleed lifters.  They bleed down at low rpm making the cam act like a mild torquer came giving you tons of low end power with great gas mileage but as the rpms move over 3000rpms they pump up giving you full advantage of the bigger cam.  I loved them.  They are a bit expensive at 240 for a set of lifters vs about 75 for the stock style, but imho they are well worth it.

There is another possibility with the engine and trying to figure out why it failed at such an early age.    If at some point in the first 30,000 or so km's the motor failed and the car was parked.  Then someone installed a used engine that had a lot of km's on it that would explain a lot of things.   My 88GT had to have an engine replaced at 60,000 due to a spun rod bearing.  The lady that owned it ran it out of oil and cooked the motor.  The bad news is, she had the motor rebuilt, (I have the receipt for nearly 6000 for the rebuild)  However the shop was not really a Chevy V6 shop and screwed it up.  I have had piston slap since day one.  I've got 60,000kms on it since I bought it and the motor has always had a knock to it, and now its starting to get some nasty blow bye.  Depending on where I am living and what I am doing, I may pull this motor out this winter and replace it with one of my spare motors. 

Well whatever you choose, I know Colby is going to love having the piece of mind that he has a new engine in his car.  Congrats on the build.

David

In Oregon until Oct 15th.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 10:03am
i think the motor did have issues early on and it was parked. the lower cradle rust is definately an indication that it sat over earth for a time. later on i think someone came along and forced the bearing that had locked up to spin (causing this issue). the sold the car as a runner and with low K.

all the time sitting basically ruined the bearings.  there is evidence that the clutch was changed but i believe the motor is original. the bolts that i removed do not look like the had been tampered with...as best as i can tell...

still discussing cam details wit Colby..
Gary
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 12:05pm
David, thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out if there is some way for me to be able to afford to upgrade the cam and lifters, but so far it doesn't look like I'll be able to. 
88 Formula 5 speed

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 12:18pm
I suggest, and only suggest that you be in no rush, save the money
and build the strongest engine specific to Autox as that is your
passion, and kick ars!!!:)

You can see over time what I did, we can chat and I can list off the
items and costs...get the engine core to be a performer, then items
like MSD box or injectors, etc...can be done in time.

Chit, I need to consider what I need to do, we have a larger track next
year also, longer higher RPM,s, more 3rd gear, higher speeds which
will lead to brake upgrades also:)

Gotta run...looking forward to seeing the end result:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

...get the engine core to be a performer, then items
like MSD box or injectors, etc...can be done in time.

Worth repeating!

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

David, thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out if there is some way for me to be able to afford to upgrade the cam and lifters, but so far it doesn't look like I'll be able to. 

Yes there is.  As Brian said, take your time and do it right.  We need to get you on the race track at some point too and you'll want a strong, well-performing engine.

Make it happen.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 12:28am

Gary, that's looking real sweet.

In a home shop environment, what's the best way to clean that block (and oil galleries) of contaminants from the worn/scored bearings?

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:36pm
well Patrick, i think it is best described as over and over.

i started with the heavy dirt removal and finished up with a tap to clear threads and a good washing with clean clear solvent.

before any parts go back in. it will be cleaned again. blown with compressed air and critical areas (bearing / gasket surfaces) will be carefully cleaned to ensure a perfect fit / seal.

when the motor gets first run, it will only run for perhaps 5 mins or so. then the oil will be changed. (cant wait for that...) 

today, the old red paint was removed from the valve covers.

the crank and flywheel are in the trunk for a short ride to the machine shop.

Gary
AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:02pm
Is Colby doing any of this work? 
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

Is Colby doing any of this work? 

My dad is handing the majority engine work while I'm handling the cradle and everything else attached to it.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

well Patrick, i think it is best described as over and over.

i started with the heavy dirt removal and finished up with a tap to clear threads and a good washing with clean clear solvent.

This may or may not be a dumb question, but do you have a large tub you put the block in while scrubbing it down?

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

This may or may not be a dumb question, but do you have a large tub you put the block in while scrubbing it down?

Kind of. With the engine on the stand, a litter box was put underneath and under all that was a drop sheet.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Kind of. With the engine on the stand, a litter box was put underneath and under all that was a drop sheet.

Yeah, I was just curious. When I worked on industrial engines a hundred years ago, the shop had a large varsol tank that everything was washed down in.

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 6:03pm
For the first bit, i took the block and put into the litter box for a "up close" scrub before just using the litter box for a drip pan.

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2011 at 11:10pm
...still waiting for some parts and the crank to get done and am starting the cleanup on the heads.

some stuff arrived today  this will go a long way to ensure the top end will not give any surprises.

one to the valve springs had a broken clip on it and of course all the seals were cooked.

here is a before shot. (just so it is here)

getting ready for the scrub down:

here is a bracket and some sheet metal that i had brought back from beyond the grave. i used hi heat gloss black and a flame proof ceramic matte silver paint to help it to  "pop"

well, that is all for now.

Gary
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 6:52am
Nice...so jelous:)...sh*t, Imay have some competition next season if Colby finds the throttle...lol...JOKE
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic