West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colby’s 88 Formula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

With a working cat and the car no longer running so rich, getting through AirCare was easy.

Colby, does that mean we can now stand behind your '88 while its running and not be gassed?

Seriously though, that's great to hear!  

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Colby, does that mean we can now stand behind your '88 while its running and not be gassed?

Well, none of my clothes smell like gas at the end of the day anymore, so yeah.

It's nice to get that out of the way, now I can work on the parts of the car I want to rather than stuff I have to. I'd like to at least replace as much of the worn out suspension parts as I can and get a better alignment before the summer is over, though I'm still not exactly sure what direction I want to head with the suspension yet. It's not as obvious what needs to be done as it is with the earlier Fieros. Having only done one autocross in it so far it's too soon for me to decide what I want to do with it, I need to get more comfortable with it first.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:33am

Glad to hear the Formula is running optimally once again Colby. That should allow you to spank Patty by an even greater margin.

Hopefully I'll see it around autocross or the meeting soon.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:47am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Hopefully I'll see it around autocross...

Driving Sierra #2

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 10:19am

Good job on AirCare, Colby. 

Lessee....beefy coilovers with adjustable shocks, new stiff bushings, adjustable sway bars, lowered, competition alignment, wide wheels with sticky R-comp tires....  that will be good for a start. 

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

Good job on AirCare, Colby. 

Lessee....beefy coilovers with adjustable shocks, new stiff bushings, adjustable sway bars, lowered, competition alignment, wide wheels with sticky R-comp tires....  that will be good for a start. 

YES. Colby, take note.

As for you Patty, don't be jealous because I have a 350 that more than doubles the Duke's output. And a five speed.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:14pm

Colby...  Do it, do it!

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

As for you Patty, don't be jealous because I have a 350 that more than doubles the Duke's output. And a five speed.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 2:24am

I'm sure at least some of that stuff will find it's way on the car eventually. I have been trying to look into all the options I have and have found lots of interesting things I can't afford right now. It turns out that the stock 14" rims are almost as light as the lightest 15" rims you can buy on Tire Rack. Looking at that kind of stuff it what I do when I can't wait for the next autocross.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 8:49am
But the 15"s are so pretty... Let me know if you intend to sell them off, I need one.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 11:11am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

It turns out that the stock 14" rims are almost as light as the lightest 15" rims you can buy on Tire Rack.

Perhaps, but sometimes form triumphs function, especially with a car that's used mainly on the street.

As Johnny says... It doesn't have to perform, it's just gotta look good!

I'm not suggesting you go for all flash (as I know you won't), but to some degree it's all about compromise.

I'd like whatever car I autocross to be able to navigate the course quickly, but I also want it to look good while doing so.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 12:28pm
Oh, I like the 15" rims too. I think they'll become my winter rims so I'll still use them for half the year, two of the rims already have the right tires for that anyway.
88 Formula 5 speed

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 10:42pm
So, as an extension of this thread, i felt best to post here, the chronicles of the Formula's overhaul.

it starts with a Cradle removal and getting the engine onto the stand.

then i started removing the bits. i found some history with the harmonic balancer. seems someone had a leak they tried to repair with a sleeve and a new seal. the only problem is the seal was hammered in and then the harmonic balancer was set in to locktight and hammered on. pretty poor...

anybody have a balancer they want to part with?

Gary

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 11:17pm

Gary, that seal installation definitely looks poorly done.  It's difficult to tell from the pictures though, but is the harmonic balancer actually damaged (from being pounded on)?

It certainly seems strange to me that a low mileage engine would've required a sleeve on the balancer. What would've caused a groove to have been worn into the balancer in the first place on an engine with less than 70,000 kilometers on it?

I changed the balancer on my '86 GT (almost 200,000 kms) because the rubber part of the dampener had deteriorated to the point where the outer ring had begun to spin. Made timing a real challenge!  However, there was little appreciable wear on the balancer where the seal had resided.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 10:36am
My conclusion would be that the engine in fact has way more miles
on it than first thought.

As for the balancer repair, not uncommon to do it that way. Fiero
balancers are no longer available. There is a balancer that fits but
the timing marks are wrong.

The guy could have been more careful with the seal however.
Barbarian....:)
You dream it up....I'll make it
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 11:27am
I thought about the way too many miles on it item too but since I have a near perfect 88 fiero here to compare to. I can say that the engine in the formula just felt and is stronger in comparison and my 88 here is no slouch. It's an absolute shame to see such problems, I would never have sold the car had I known any of these things.
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:14pm
The balancer may have had a sleve put onto it to make the diameter larger .. for the sake of the seal... the other side's seal was dry but has no signs of leakage. i want to look for a balancer and make it right since it is so easy to do now. pictures in a bit...
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by karnak karnak wrote:

The balancer may have had a sleeve put onto it to make the diameter larger .. for the sake of the seal

Well, the seal is designed to ride directly on the hub of the harmonic balancer, so without a groove having been worn into the balancer I don't see a need for the sleeve. (Take the sleeve off, let's have a look!)

Anyway, let's see those pictures.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:22pm

Gary, I ordered my balancer from the Fiero Store and David installed in last year...but the marks are off so will have to score on your own timing marks.

http://www.fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=65401

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:53pm
ok.. here are the pictures! 

the first couple show the main bearings. notice the pitted look and the 'flake' that appears to mottle the surface. there are groves on all the main bearings but the crank is 'ok' (but was starting to wear). it would seem to me that only the one connecting rod bearing was really shot. (stamped GM, so we know it was OEM)

this next picture shows a cam bearing. you can see on one side (lower) there is a difference in appearance from the other. this is like a corrosion from sitting and being under-oiled for too long (i suspect).

finally, the cylinder walls. there is a very mild ridge on the top of the bore and that ridge is not detectable on the sides (just on the edges).

a quick run thru with a hone will be all it will need.

note the crosshatch i s still visible.

well .. i am taking a small break from the motor and will post more pictures as i do more.

the other internal components of the motor are clean and re-usable.

Gary
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2011 at 10:01pm
The car did sit for a while before I got it. I had to chase this guy down
for over a year to finally buy it and I don't think the car had moved
even once while I waited. I originally saw it a year before that and
went a way to "think on it".

So, you're correct that there should be some issues of sitting too long
without oil unfortunately. When I had it I made to sure to start or drive
it regularly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic