West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

April Tech Session - Idler pulley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April Tech Session - Idler pulley
    Posted: 15 February 2011 at 4:52pm
I would like to gauge the interest in the idler pulley part of this tech session.  There will be all the regular stuff going on that day too but I'm offering everyone the opportunity to have this useful modification done to their stock V6's.

If you have a stock 2.8L, 3.1L or 3.4L motor in your car this is a great enhancement.  It makes your alternator belt function much better and in turn last a lot longer.

This thread outlines what I built for myself:

http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=227 8

What I am offering to do is build the bracket you need to mount the pulley itself.  Once you have this part you also need to buy a pulley, a bolt and a longer belt.  Other than those additional parts, it's a simple bolt on affair.

I will supply the brackets for $30.  I will supply everyone with the proper part numbers for the additional goodies needed.

On the day, we all get together and do the modifications.  It will be a great time doing something useful to our cars.

Pipe up if you think this would be a fun project.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 4:56pm
Another note about this project.

I've been looking high and low and all I find is the same basic metal idler pulley for about $30 club price at Lordco.

Some have said they've seen cheaper pulleys around.  I will eventually need to make a choice.  Anyone have a better idea?

The Dawg
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 6:06pm

I just checked my car, and I have a nylon idler, however it is on the wrong side of the belt, so it has ribs on it.  I also have a metal smooth tensioner on the motor as well on the other side.  All the extra pulleys were due to deleting the A/C and Power Steering pumps.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I honestly thought it was a smooth nylon pulley.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 9:09pm

For those who need them, it would be convenient if it turned out that some common GM engine platform used the type/size of pulley required. Then people would have the choice of buying a new one at any auto parts dealer or taking a run to the wreckers.

It would be helpful if anyone knew what pulley Rodney Dickman uses with his kit.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 10:11pm
I spent over 2 hours poking around the Internet and the Lordco site.  They all use the same pulley.  There are some different ones but over all I kept finding the same item.

So just about any GM metal idler with a smooth face and a single bearing will work.  If it looks like the one in that picture above, it's the right one.

I'll bring the idler in question to the next meeting as soon as I get a confirmed participant.

Then everyone can have a good look at it.

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2011 at 12:09pm
I'm still looking for one person to commit to having this installed.  Any takers?  Once I have one person on the list I will go and buy an idler wheel and finalize the generic design.

Tristan, could you send this out to the mailing list?

Cheers,

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 7:37pm
Since I would need 3 or 4 people involved in this to make it viable I'm going to declare a deadline for registration.

This is going to be in about a week.  So that is Sunday March 13th.

I'm looking at the calender and realizing I need prep time to make this all happen.  Next month will be a busy one for me.

Cheers,

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2011 at 11:49pm
OK, I have my quota.  At tonight's meeting, 3 people confirmed interest in the idler project.

So it's a go.  I may make one extra for good luck but no more unless I hear from others.  Anyone interested get back to me soon.

For those that showed interest, please bring $30 to the next meeting to cover my costs.

As soon as I buy the idler wheel for Jim, who paid me already for his bracket, I will post the part number for this wheel and the longer belt.

Don't forget to use your club discount card!

Cheers,

The Dawg
tk_85redgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tk_85redgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 7:32am
I would like the pulley set up.if u post the part #'s and the price before next weekend.i would like to see what they go for in the states see if they are cheaper or not.i'm going down for 2 weeks.thanks Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 4:10pm
Here's the idler wheel # Tino:

AC Delco 38006

GM# 88909587

It ends up that this wheel is indeed 3" in diameter.  My wheel was 2.5" in diameter.  So now I'm not sure about the belt since the one I used was tight already.

I will have to adapt one way or another.  So I'm not going to decide on the belt just yet.

Also, it looks like the bolt needed is 17mm!  Wow, big.  It might be hard to find.  So I'm going to buy a box of them.

I'll adjust the bracket price to compensate.

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 2:20pm
Update:

I've decided to simply fabricate a custom shoulder bolt for this project.  As suspected, 17mm bolts are not common.

So I bought a bunch of long shoulder bolts which I will modify for our purposes.  So the fee is now $35 and obviously includes the bolt now.

Here's some pics:

This is what the wheel looks like:

Once I finish the new design I will shorten and thread the bolts to their final size.  This should be a very clean install.

The Dawg

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 9:32pm
Nice light weight ilder!
Kevin
08GSXR1000
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 9:38pm
I think you will find that you need to put a few washers behind the pulley or it will rub on the back side.  (Found this from experience on my 4.9)
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2011 at 12:12am
You're right Dave.  There needs to be a stand off or the pulley will rub.  I'm making a one piece shaft that will be part of the bracket.

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:47pm
Had some time today to work on the idler project.  Here's the shoulder bolt and the stand off it will screw into.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the bracket done.  Then it's off to Dave's to dry fit it to the spare motor he has there.  If all goes well, I'll then start making the rest of them.

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 6:38pm
Ok, first new group install bracket is done my friends!  If Dave is free tomorrow I'll trial fit it.

Neat and tidy I think.  Thicker material than my original.  Longer slotted holes.  Should be great!

The Dawg
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 3:21pm
OK.  I've got all the info I need to complete the final design.  I was over at Dave's today and had a chance to do a trial fit.  You will notice that the wheel is sticking out a little too much.  So I'm going to shorten the post to compensate.  And the slots I cut are wider than they need to be so 1/2" it is.

Other than those two minor changes it's all good.  As you can see, the alternator adjustment is about half range.  We're good!

This weekend I should have all 4 done.

Just a note.  The 4th one is a spare.  If anyone else wants in let me know.

The Dawg

Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 5:03am

Nice and clean!!

Looks good

Charlie
84 SE
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:35pm
I'm seeing the end coming soon......:)

Why don't I wrap this up with the final part numbers so you guys can go and buy your parts.

As mentioned earlier, I'm providing the bracket and bolt for $35.  Please have this for me at the next meeting.

The idler wheel (pulley) is a generic GM part:

GM# 88909587

AC Delco# 38006

The belt I bought:

AC Delco# 5K459  (17mm X 1179mm)

Cheers,

The Dawg

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 9:54pm
All painted and ready for the tech session.

Cheers,

The Dawg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic