West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oops problem... body panels...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oops problem... body panels...
    Posted: 29 September 2010 at 6:07am
I went over last night to get these body panels from a guy parting out his 84 fiero.  I have the 85 GT notchie.  I'm turning it into a widebody chop top and hopefully with fender flares - and I'm really thinking about dually wheels in the back.  the inner wheel will be skinny (and slightly not as tall so it won't wear much and will be protection in the event of a blowout on the main tire) and the outer wheel fat.  

Okay so it's a good thing that the guy had a sawz-all. lol  -

But here's the problem - the 84 panels that basically go back to adjacent to the tail lights - they are angled downward and those same panels on the 85 GT go straight across...  maybe it'll give me a cool look... i hope it works... I'm copying Clynt but I don't have his kind of experience - not even close...

I wish I could know how he attached those panels before he glassed 'em in... 

And I got the quarter panels so I can draw on 'em and then carve scoops like ram bunk shush side scoops - those are super awesome... (seriously Clynt's and Ram bunk shush's fieros are the best looking in the world)

Oh and i didn't think I needed the bumper - so I left...  so i guess I'll be figuring something out or going back to get that other bumper... what do you think I should do?

Any advice would be appreciated!  :-)
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 3:18pm
Well aren't you the creative one.....:)

Personally I would be careful with your dually idea.  It will put too much pressure on bearings that are just barely strong enough as it is.  These cars were never designed to do some of the things we put them through.  Fat sticky tires a mile wide makes for lots of trouble in the end so just be careful.

Other than that, I agree, the wide body look is superb!  You can use many different methods to place the panel where you want it.  Everything from taped on cardboard to clued on high density foam works.  Even indoor wood paneling is great easy to cut material that can act as a bridge between surfaces.  This is just to hold the new panel in place while you use fiberglass cloth to make it permanent.

We're a great bunch of guys that periodically get together to help each other out.  You could show up at the next "tech session" and someone will be happy to show you some tricks.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 5:27pm
nevermind... duh... ok next question... how are they attached prior to glassing?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:30pm
You can use screws or various adhesives depending on the situation.  I always try and leave enough of the new part so all I have to do is put some Duraglass between the panels and screw it down.  Once the "glue" is dry, you can remove the screws and then put a layer of cloth over the joint for extra strength.  Then it's regular bodywork after that.

Where the fill in parts come in is when there is a big gap between old and new panels.  Then you need to put something in there that will support the wet cloth till it dries hard.

Make sense?

The Dawg

fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

You can use screws or various adhesives depending on the situation.  I always try and leave enough of the new part so all I have to do is put some Duraglass between the panels and screw it down.  Once the "glue" is dry, you can remove the screws and then put a layer of cloth over the joint for extra strength.  Then it's regular bodywork after that.

Where the fill in parts come in is when there is a big gap between old and new panels.  Then you need to put something in there that will support the wet cloth till it dries hard.

Make sense?

The Dawg

Yeah... Thanks... But now a new question... On Clynt's awesome rig... he used the upper rear panel for the widebody... but here's the question... why isn't there a lip when it gets to the door???  What happened?  Is the door now thicker or did something occur on that panel and the rear quarter panel to make them taper really quickly...  I'm having lots of fun with this project.  :-)
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 11:28pm
It could be either one.  I don't think I've ever seen Clynt's door open so I couldn't tell you.  It's certainly easier to do a steep taper back to the door level then modifying the door too.

The Dawg

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic