West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attempted Murder #3 for Gretchin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attempted Murder #3 for Gretchin
    Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:42pm

Was driving back from the US today, enjoying the nice, banked curves of the US roads. 70KM/H... 80KM/H... 90KM/H... Everything was going wonderful. Eventually, in order to keep up with my dad, I hit triple digits while flying through the banks (He had quite a bit of a lead on me, you see). Gretchin was putting up with my tom-foolery, until one fated corner, where she had enough and decided to try and kill me...

Entered the corner at just a nose over 110, a nice 90-degree left hand. Smooth, deep banked, two lane road... Really a wonderful corner to be honest... Immeadiately she backhanded me with a heap of understeer. Not an issue, I know what the slip angle is like, I just turned the wheel an extra half turn and things would work out, but there was still too much understeer to account for. Thus, I decided to just dab the brakes ever so lightly to move the weight onto the fronts a bit more. The method worked, and the front tires bit down hard, and instantly turned the car very sharp.

Alas, now oversteer became the concern.

Well, oversteer is a bit of an understatement. In what can only be described as a heartbeat, her tail-end whipped up hurredly, making her take up both lanes as she whipped sideways. In that heart-stopping moment, sheer panic rushed over me. I almost simply lost my nerve, and didn't react, but if there was ever a case to be made for video games, it is now:

I snapped out of my panic-induced trance and grabbed the wheel and turned it further to make her spin a bit more. Now her backside was actually leading the car. Nerves ablaze I then spun the wheel as far as I could make it go to the right, inducing the front end to whip back around, completing a 360 and sliding her harmlessly over on the far side of the road. The car had of course stalled during the procedure, and I took a moment to calm myself before I fired her back up and drove up behind my dad once again who had apparently watched the whole event under the assumption that was to be my last act on earth.

Fortunately, video-game-derived-hyper-active reflexes saved me from slamming into lamp posts or flying into the ditch. That, and a bit of luck, to be sure.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:51am

Here's some friendly advice from a crotchety old man...

SLOW  THE  F*CK  DOWN !!!

Tristan, you know I'm only saying that because I'd like you to live long enough to get old and crotchety yourself.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 1:06am

Nah man, that would be NO FUN AT ALL. Nah, in all seriousness, it was a bit of a wake-up call, I probably will knock of a little bit of the speed in the corners, at the very least until the car is safe (Shocks, brakes and sway bar are all in working order).

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:02pm
I rarely come on here to post anymore but I have to pipe in too on this one. Sorry it's not a nice post to you but it's not personal.

Just try to imagine not only yourself on the roads and that there may be others that want to make it home alive. With that kind of driving it's just a matter of time before you are posting that it wasn't attempted murder anymore but actual murder.

Dramatic? perhaps, but take a look at that loser that was only doing 90 and smacked into that little girl and her aunt while they were feeding a horse on the side of the road. Little girl is dead, parents are grieving for years to come and the aunt was hospitalized for some very serious surgery.. All so this lady could get somewhere just a little bit faster. Hardly worth the years she'll get for the 4 guilty counts of murder and reckless driving.

You're young and it's tough to imagine screwing up perhaps, or that you are invincible and can "do anything with game skills" or whatever but for everybody's sake take your skills and desire to destroy yourself and your car to the race course and off our roads please.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:20pm

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

Just try to imagine not only yourself on the roads and that there may be others that want to make it home alive.

Excellent point.

Tristan, you and I are buddies in this club. You're a great guy and a lot of fun to be around.

However, real life isn't like some stupid video game where if you screw up you just reboot and start over.

Will you please smarten up and start driving responsibly before you kill yourself or worse yet, some innocent bystander!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 1:40pm
Nono, fair enough. Granted I used to never speed in city streets, only the highway. Seem to have lost sight of that as of late, but I can go back to the way I was.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:07pm

Well...need to have a little chat as this old fart will chew your ear out also!.  I started to autox and track, but invested time to learn and conduct myself in a mature manner...take it out on tbe track and not the street and learn how to handle your car...by what I read, you have NO IDEA how to drive!...need to know Gretchen and how to control her!:)

Saying that, I do hope to see you out at the next PCA autox which I already posted for many for Fiero owners to come out...imagine this a club event, except the go cart is your car:)

Advicate of track not street racing, you have a lot to offer to this world, do NOT want to see it run short!...Smarten Up:)...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:25pm

I know, I probably wont get into auto-X for a while, can't afford the fees. As for the whole "not dying" thing, I am giving that very strong consideration.

Yeah, I have mediated myself back to limit in the streets, limit plus a bit when there's other drivers on the highway, and limitless on open highways, that way I'll only off myself in the absolute worst-case-scenario.

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

that way I'll only off myself in the absolute worst-case-scenario.

Overall sounds good, great to hear you are listening to reason but ask your parents what they think of the above quote and I'm sure you'll change your mind. It's just not worth it man.. As you get older and possibly have your own children you'll really start to get it I think. Either way, stay safe and join up with Brian there. In time you'll even want to start chroming everything you own maybe!
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:45pm
You know.....I love driving fast, I really do.  But I also take great pride in knowing the practical limits of my equipment under various driving conditions.

As long as you assess the situation and stay within a "safe zone" you can have fun enjoying your car.

I too would love to get involved in racing again but we can't justify it at the moment.  So I stay within safe limits and enjoy what I can do.  Those limits are often no where near posted speeds but well within this zone I'm speaking of.

I think you've got a great car there buddy.  All things considered you have nothing to complain about on any level.  Enjoy it safely

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:49pm
Autox is probably the cheapest kind of racing you can do. With PCA, it's just $40 for the day and you don't even need a membership like you do for the autox's put on by the other clubs. Plus it's also safer than racing at Mission (for example) since there's only one car driving at a time and the only thing to hit is a fence or a cone.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:36pm

As for the whole "not dying" thing...

...I'll only off myself in the absolute worst-case-scenario.

You have a narrow focal point. How's the rest of your life in a wheelchair appeal to you?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:42pm

Expensive...as Colby said above and honestly....getting really tired of the excuses made that it's expensive...it can be if you get into it as I have, or come out as Colby for $40 and maybe 1/4 tank gas...5-6 1 minute runs really eat up your gas:)...NOT!.

If you went out for a basic dinner with another, a movie,...a basic outing you spend $40 easy...Ah let me think...$40 on autox and learn many things or DEAD!...easy choice:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:15pm
I don't have the licensing for it, and that's also looking over the track costs. Like I said, I can live with slowing it down in the mean time, but that doesn't mean I can afford to go the track yet either.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:17pm

Not going to beat this up:)...drive safer is all we ask, I think you realize many here care otherwise there would have been no replies:).

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:21pm
I do, and I'm a little touched, truth be told. Believe me, I worry about that car more than I do my own life, I don't want to see harm come to her either. Slower and safer it shall be.
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:28pm

T

Take it to the TRACK

M

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:53pm
Can't afford that! It's ok though, I have a racing simulator to keep my satisfied until I start pulling in some decent coin.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:26pm

Gee away from my computer for a while and see everyone jumping on the don't' drive fast bandwagon. However that does not bother, I have spoke up driving within a persons or cars limits in the past, what I think bothers me the most is seeing everyone jump down on Romeo.  We have all driven fast at one time or another in our lives.  I think most of us have spun a car around at least one, and  I don't think there is a single adult male on this forum that when they were in their teens did not drive like a maniac at least once.  Hell I see many of you posting in here, that I KNOW still have a tendency to drive with a lead foot.

At one time I had to figure speeding tickets into my monthly budgets.  None of us own 2 seat sports cars because of there practicality either, or else we would all be driving 4cyl Hybrid Econo Box's. 

Romeo made a mistake by driving beyond either what his car or he was capable of, however don't make him feel like he made a bigger mistake in telling us about it. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:43pm

I don't have the licensing for it, and that's also looking over the track costs. Like I said, I can live with slowing it down in the mean time, but that doesn't mean I can afford to go the track yet either.

What track costs? As for licensing, if you can drive to one of the meetings then you can drive at autox. They even have a few loaner helmets if you don't have your own. If you eat breakfast at home and pack a lunch, then your costs really are just gas and the $40 to participate.

I think you should at least come out and watch next Sunday, you can even go for rides with some of the drivers. I've gone 5 times now and I can tell you that, to me at least, going around corners faster than you should be on the street is now so boring in comparison that I don't even bother to anymore.
88 Formula 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic