West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies
    Posted: 13 February 2010 at 3:35pm

Yeah, the opening ceremonies weren't too shabby of an event.

For anyone who missed the show, the whole spectacle is Here.

I gotta say, for me the highlight of the entire evening was the breathtaking performance of k.d. lang singing a Leonard Cohen song, "Hallelujah". In the video above, it starts at 2:30:30

Play it back full screen and crank up your speakers.

Say what you will about the non-glamorous appearance of k.d. lang, but there's a good reason why the legendary Roy Orbison wished to record an album of duets with k.d. lang years ago. What a voice! What passion!

Although the video quality isn't nearly as good as at the link above, a somewhat easier way to see and hear k.d. lang perform the song is to click on the NBC link Here. (Unfortunately, this link is only available to American viewers or to those of us outside the States running a utility such as Hotspot Shield.)

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 8:46pm
I did also:)...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 10:56pm

Okay, that makes two of us here who watched it.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 7:44am

Hey, the Olympics are fun, but know what's even more fun at my age?

2 full weeks of unsuperfized time, with a ton of new faces and gratuitous amounts of partying.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 11:10am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

2 full weeks of unsuperfized time, with a ton of new faces and gratuitous amounts of partying.

Check for STDs.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 2:14pm
Honestly from what I watched of the opening, I thought it was horribly missrepresentative of what BC is.  The closing ceremonies were much better.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Honestly from what I watched of the opening, I thought it was horribly missrepresentative of what BC is.  The closing ceremonies were much better.

Interesting, I enjoyed the opening ceremonies but I thought the closing ceremonies were awful (except for the very beginning where they had some fun with getting the fourth pillar raised).

Flying beavers, dancing Mounties, and rock bands from Montreal don't represent what BC means to me.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 5:16pm
I do agree with you Patrick:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Check for STDs.

I'm pretty sure most of them were good girls. At least 60%.

Kidding! I always use my branez.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 10:34am

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Check for STDs.

I'm pretty sure most of them were good girls. At least 60%.

Kidding! I always use my branez.

Is that a new brand of prophylactic?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 10:57am

Now, it's just a brief moment where personal health takes precedence. After that has passed, common sense tapers off considerably.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 10:59am

Na I just didn't like the heavy native theme to the Opening, when I think Canada, I think mounties, Moose and proud Canadian music.

Hell the 1st thing that pops into my mind when I think proud Canada is a Mountie in his red outfit.  2nd would be the Canada Flag.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:07am
I didn't mind the native theme, what annoyed me is that all the other cultures in BC were ignored. We have a large population of Japanese, Korean, East-Indian, Europeens of all kinds and Chinese in BC, but the 1.3% aboriginal population was the only one represented. It gave a very false impression of Canada, and BC. What makes this country great isn't any one culture, it's the mix of all of them that does. In one day, you can speak to someone from almost every corner of the world.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:18am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Hell the 1st thing that pops into my mind when I think proud Canada is a Mountie in his red outfit.

When I saw all those dancing mounties at the closing ceremonies, the first thing that popped into my mind was... tasers!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:31am

lol

Just don't chase 'em with a stapler. I prefer Canadian officers to American ones still (Got away without a ticket YET AGAIN yesterday).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic