West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5 speed vs 4 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote danht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 speed vs 4 speed
    Posted: 31 January 2010 at 10:41am
I just wondered if this is worth the bother. I picked up this 85 coupe 2m4 for a song $400.us, the wife was bugged when I bought a parts car 84 for more than the project car $500.us the 85 had a bent clutch fork and no speedo gear in the isusu 5speed, the parts car has the 4.10 munchie. I bought a new 5 speed off Ebay but started thinking about the 4 speed. I live on the Olympic Peninsula and only ten miles from work. Does any one think it would be worth the extra work putting in the peppier gears and loose a shift? or stick with economy.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2010 at 11:02am

You'd be doing the opposite of what I did as reported Here.

However, from strictly a financial point of view, you'd probably be better off to use the 4-speed from your parts car and sell the new 5-speed you got just bought.

As you say, the 4.10 gears will be "peppier", so that's kind of a bonus. And you're so close to work that your gas mileage probably won't be hurt all that much.

Yes, there's a bit more work involved, as you'll also have to swap over the shifter and shifter cables (and possibly the clutch slave cylinder) and rewire the backup light switch. It's not too bad though.

danht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote danht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2010 at 11:47am

when I got the parts car I was interested in three things: the sun roof, the factory 14 inch mag wheels, and the electric doors. since the purchase I have found out that the door panels off the 85 will not fit on the 84 doors. since my posting I also found that there are no shift cables or retaining bracket on the four speed, and no slave. maybe I will stick with the economy 42to the gallon if i'm nice.

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic