West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Bad Vendors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tru-line for Alignments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 5:38pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

...anyway Mike did his job and that's that !

Again Mike did his job and nothing more he can do.

Did he? Honestly, did he really?

You paid for an alignment and now you have a car that "floats" at highway speed, worse than what it was doing before you took it in for the alignment.

John, I know you're a nice guy and you don't like making waves, but I hate to see you being treated like this.

I'm still hoping that someone who knows Mike can get to the bottom of this. It just doesn't seem right.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

...anyway Mike did his job and that's that !

Again Mike did his job and nothing more he can do.

Did he? Honestly, did he really?

You paid for an alignment and now you have a car that "floats" at highway speed, worse than what it was doing before you took it in for the
alignment.

John, I know you're a nice guy and you don't like making waves, but I hate to see you being treated like this.

I'm still hoping that someone who knows Mike can get to the bottom of this. It just doesn't seem right.

I did get treated nice and he did do a great job to Fiero specs, so that will be that and no more bud, I just like to ride the wave and hang 10

Johnny-B-Good

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:35pm

Okey dokey, I'll say no more.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 10:21pm
John this is certainly not directed at you my friend.  It's for all of us to think about.

I'd like to suggest a different way to look at the issues we're discussing in this thread. Many Fiero owners could use some of this advice.

The bottom line is as a group of Fiero owners, we're not in a good bargaining position.  We need skilled people to take the time to learn about our needs.  I think it's safe to say, that as a group, we are finding it harder and harder to find these people every year.

We simply can't afford to have the attitude that somehow we are in demand and that these shops need us.  In this case for sure, I can tell you he doesn't NEED us.  We NEED him.  Or at the very least someone like him.

Regarding this particular stuation the reality is that unless you go into an alignment shop with your own specs, the guy HAS to go by the book.  If your car has special needs because of modifications you've made, it's your responsibility to know what you need.  Or, you need to be willing to pay more than the going rate to have the technician try something different.

This can apply to any number of situations we might run into.  These cars are different and very few are stock in any way.  Makes a technicians job more difficult for sure and someone has to pay for that.

As Fiero owners, we've all chosen to take the road less traveled.  That road is paved with money I'm afraid.

DG

You dream it up....I'll make it
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:44pm

Video shot at Clynt's shop...

Patrick and Clynt doing a check up after wheel alignment ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFMLyZ23Wc

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:15pm
Ok spit it out, ball joint was moving, WHY was it moving? 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:16pm
That is insain movment, did they loosen something then forgot to tighten it back up?  What in the end was the cause of the movment?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:34pm

yea come on you can't do this to us, inquiring minds want to know... I hate movies like that,  they start, build up and right when it starts to get good the closing credits... then you are left with the WTF feeling

LOL

well Crystal's car is still going there as soon as her new bumper shows up, some idiot broad in a hummer backed into her Kia

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:37pm

The three bolts holding each rear lower ball joint were all loose.

The passenger side was a bit loose.

The nuts on the bolts holding the driver's side ball joint had all backed off a full 1/4".

The driver's side ball joint was just flopping around in its mount.

I should add that the outer tie rods appear to be loose as well, but the movement there paled considerably with what we found elsewhere.

I have nothing positive to say about this situation. Draw your own conclusions, fellas.

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:59pm
i will be talking to Mike when Crystal and I go in there for her car and see what's going on with that, those things should have been caught at the time of the alignment, since part of the alignment process is checking out wether or not the ball joints, tire rods etc are worn out and have movement.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:36pm
I would guess more that someone loosened them to try and adjust the alignment, and then were not re-torqued correctly.  They might have been tight enough to hold for a day or 2 and after a few good bumps, started to work there way loose until the final result of the wheels flopping all over hell and back.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
clynt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 8:49pm
why would anyone loosen off lower balljoints ?
is there some adj that i am unaware of??
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:08pm
I honestly don't know why, maybe they thought it was like some upper ball joints that have small slots to allow for an extra 1/4 inch of adjustment.  I am guessing that Johns had a bit of travel with the nuts backed out, LOL.    Some shops just are not familiar with Fiero's enough to do work and not make at mistake.  Its a sad thing to say, but if they are used to working on conventional front engine hot rods, or run of the mill Honda's, they just don't understand the Fiero's suspension.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I would guess more that someone loosened them to try and adjust the alignment, and then
were not re-torqued correctly.  They might have been
tight enough to hold for a day or 2 and after a few good bumps, started to work there way loose until the final
result of the wheels flopping all over hell and
back.

When I left Mike's it felt swaying, floating from side to side and really bad on highway speed. Mike did mention that
the rears where swaying and blamed the wide tires,
but we all know that's not the case. Also I called him the next day saying it was better before.

Mike is a great guy and he did a great alignment job, but failed to check rear end (we all make mistakes).

ADDED NOTE: I did see Dale peeking from the grassy knoll with a wrench (my conspiracy theory)

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:20pm
I can't help wondering the same thing Clint.  There is no reason why he would have messed with those ball joints.  But there they are, ready to fall off.

Are we missing something here?

DG

Originally posted by clynt clynt wrote:

why would anyone loosen off lower balljoints ?
is there some adj that i am unaware of??
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:24pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Are we missing something here?

Yeah, I'd say somebody missed something.

There is no reason why he would have messed with those ball joints.

How about checking them before doing the alignment?

But there they are, ready to fall off.

Correct.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:25pm
I knew it! 

DG.....:)

ADDED NOTE: I did see Dale peeking from the grassy knoll with a wrench (my conspiracy theory)

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:40pm
i would say that this is a colossal miss on mikes part, i realize that everybody is human but this was a very serious and possiably deadly one.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:06pm
I hear ya.

But there is no way he could have done an alignment with the wheels that loose.  That equipment is so sensitive the readings would have been all over the place.

Did he miss the fact that those joints were not properly tightened, it sure looks like it.  I'd like to know why they were loose in the first place.

Considering all the little problems John has been having with his suspension lately I think someone needs to go through that car checking every nut and bolt.

DG

Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

i would say that this is a colossal miss on mikes part, i realize that everybody is human but this was a very serious and possiably deadly one.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:09pm

But there is no way he could have done an alignment with the wheels that loose.

So what are you suggesting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic