West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First step toward turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 11:24pm

Hey Chay, looks like you're having some fun there!

I'm just curious, what was your reason for cutting the runners as oppossed to mounting the tubes on the ends of the original runners? I'm not suggesting you should or shouldn't have, I'm just wondering why you chose the path you did?

Here's a couple of images of a dual-plenum manifold I almost bought from the Mall at Pennock's over a year ago. I eventually decided against it for three reasons...

1) More trouble than I needed.

2) Made of steel and heavy.

3) Ugly as sin.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 2:17pm
There is a thread in pennocks that I got this from...there are a bunch of guys with cut down runners. They say they are getting better low and top end performance.

I don't know too much about design on intakes, but I suspect the low end performance comes in the decreased resonance point because of the shortened runners, and the top end because of removing the obstruction in the upper intake allows more total airflow. Also, there is a height issue if it gets too tall. And cutting the middle eliminates one 90deg ish turn the air has to make in the middle plenum.

That was the long answer. The short one is someone did it before and had success, so i don't want to reinvent the wheel.

As for the above...totally agree!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by CFoss CFoss wrote:

..there are a bunch of guys with cut down runners. They say they are getting better low and top end performance.

The guy who makes the Trueleo intake used to make both a short and long runner version.  He discontinued the long runner version, saying that the short length one outsold the long, and had pretty much the same performance overall, with way more in the bottom where most people run anyhow.

So....  Short is good.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 6:59pm

Chay, I don't remember the name given to this technique/addition, but had you looked into adding "extensions" to the runner tubes where they enter the plenum? They stick up a bit from the floor of the plenum. It's supposed to help flow. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Okay, don't laugh... I tried to draw it for you. The runner with the extension thingy is on the right. The shape isn't right, but it should be good enough to get the idea across.

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

So....  Short is good.

Keep in mind I was only wondering why Chay cut the last inch or so off the runners.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 10:52am
They are called velocity stacks, I saw them in another professionally done intake. I hadn't considered it, but it actually might be easy to do...just clean up the runners for the thickness of my pipes plus a bit more, and enlarge the holes in the pipes to accept a bit of the runners into them. Then I don't have to be so carefull to match the ports too, and weld the outside of the connection.

I'd like to research it some more...it's curious how it would increase flow. Like I said I have seen it so I'm a believer....just want to know how it works.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 10:53am
I made note of the discontinued Truleo...when all arrow point in the same direction it makes decisions like that easier.

C
86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:00am

...enlarge the holes in the pipes to accept a bit of the runners into them. Then I don't have to be so carefull to match the ports too, and weld the outside of the connection.

Hey, now you're talking. Sounds great! 

Keep in mind they need to be trumpet shaped.

Yes, "velocity stacks". That's the term I couldn't remember.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:01am
Looks like all the pro velocity stacks have a bevel on the inside...so I'll bevel the runners before I weld them into the plenum and it should accomplish the same thing. Good tip.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 3:16pm
I think the ones in the middle of your pic are what I'll try to d. Not too proud, but enough to try the bevel.

Now, is that curve eliptical or logaritmic? Ha ha. I wish I could get an eliptical dremmel.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 8:55pm
Ok, for injectors...here we go...

There are two measurements which are important. The grove to top height and the grove to bottom height. Then, there is the flow, in CC or in pounds/hour. 500cc is about 49 lb/hr, so you can convert.

Also, there is the injector impedance to consider.

First, the group of injectors I'm messing with:

How did these get upside down??? Ha ha. The left is a LT1 injector(24lb/hr)...I cut the top groove, the bottom is stock for reasons you will see below. The second is a 1996 3.8L dodge injector(22 or 24#/hr), a Siemens Deka 666A. the third is a 1996 3.0l dodge injector, a nippondenso INP-066 (19 OR 20#/HR) and the last is the Fiero stocker (14#/hr).

More on the stockers...

2.42 is the body length, and is critical because this is the distance between the fuel rail and the lower manifold. If this isn't right there is a good chance you will have vaccuum leaks and it won't seat in the lower manifold far enough for a good injection into the air path.

This is the ring groove to top measure on the stocker. this will fully insert the top on the injector into the rail. The port is cylindrical to the end where there is a small bevel to ease insertion into the rail. as long as the o-ring is past the bevel, there is no difference in sealing from there on up. This allows a smaller groove to top dimension to be used, which allows many injectors to interchange.

Nipondenso (19-20#/hr):

The body height is the same so this is a good candidate. How is the groove to top height?

At .37, it's smaller than stock (.43), but should still easily seal. This is my fall back set of injectors. They are high Z so no problem with the ecm.

Siemens Deka (24#/hr):

2.25", uh-oh. It's a no go. Too bad, the #/hr is what I'm after.

Ok, LT1 injectos (GM 2561462, Bosch 280 155 931) at 24#/hr. These are rated at 28#/hr, but at higher pressure, so they are at about 24#/hr where I want to run (44psi or so).

You can see the original groove (Lower) and the groove I made. From the groove I made the body length is perfect (.02" difference, no big deal). So how is the g-top measure...

.36, not bad, not super good. It will seal though. It's a very similar measure to the nippondenso.

Here is a few shots of the rail and lower manifold:

Stock vs LT1

Stock vs nippondenso

LT1 vs stock

Nippondenso vs stock

LT1 (disk pattern) vs nippindenso pintle

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:35am

Good tip.

Thanks Chay, I hope it yields you a few extra ponies.

Someday you'll have to make it across the pond to a club function so we can all meet you and your Fiero.

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:27pm
One day.

When I was over there I never made it though. Too much family commitments.

I did up the runners, as best I could. The pics don't really do it justice, but:

Sort of trumpetty....I made sure the corners were very rounded and smooth.

Will it work? Who knows.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:38pm

Will it work? Who knows.

If it doesn't work, you've only lost a bit of time.

If it does work, I want at least half the credit.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:16pm

Flow-bench numbers for Stock intake and SR14 & LR17 below.

Valve lift

.100"

.200"

.300"

.400"

.500"

stock intake CFM

Discontinued: Trueleo Long runner CFM

Trueleo Short runner CFM

no intake-head CFM

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 10:57am
Yeah, the numbers are hard for me to put into real world practical terms. What I'd like to know is at 5500 rpm, what is the difference in flow? I have a 3.4, with a higher lift cam. It stands to reason that this combo will benefit more from a free flowing intake than a stock 2.8. I definately run out of air before 5k. It's quite annoying.

Anyway look at these stacks:

They look a lot bigger than what I'm making. I think what I might do is redo the plenum. This time I'll cut the holes to accept the runners in the flat plate, then insert the runners and weld tabs on the runners to create a horn style velocity stack (Think like a tweeter horn in reverse). Then weld the runners to the flat plate, and finally the flat plate to the tubular material. It would be more effective that way i think.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 7:14pm
After doing a bit more research I found lots of V stack pics. They have bigger and more circular radiuses, but mine will work somewhat. It's better than not doing the shaping for sure.

With our oval and disimilar shaped runners it will be hard to get anything comercial to fit, so shaping the oem seems to me the best solution to keep it simple.

May of the V stacks don't extend that far into the plenum, so I'm going to try 1/4-1/2 inch.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 10:24pm

I think what I might do is redo the plenum. This time I'll cut the holes to accept the runners in the flat plate, then insert the runners and weld tabs on the runners to create a horn style velocity stack (Think like a tweeter horn in reverse). Then weld the runners to the flat plate, and finally the flat plate to the tubular material. It would be more effective that way i think.

I think that's a great idea.  I was disappointed when you posted the image below because I felt you had severely limited yourself with what you could do with the plenum. Doing it over again in the manner mentioned above will give you ample opportunity to do a much better job.

Will you be fabricating a balance tube between the two plenums?

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:29am
The shape of the plenum will be the same, it's just that it will be assembled in a way where I can work the interior. It's a space issue on the top of the engine. Too big a diameter and the trunk lid will hit.

I think the size is adequate:

As you can see the throttle body fits ok (It's big enough). The junk in the interior is from drilling the corners of the runner entrances.

This time I will start with doing the flat piece. I will cut out the runner entrances and then insert the runners, tack it in place and then build the horns on the 'inside', the to finish it, weld on the tube section. This will help 2 fold:

1) The runners enter at an angle, so I can weld to fill the gap left by the angle on the inside

2) I can build better V stacks because I can make them bigger and shape them better, and have access to machine them

This is what I have in mind as a model (It's a bit fuzzy).

It'll end up somewhat different (More horn type than trumpet type), but that's the idea.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:31am
Yeah, I'm going to do a 1" balance tube, but I want to mock it up on the engine before deciding where it's going. There are some other provisions as well, like egr (I think I'll delete it) and map sensor, brake vaccuum source etc.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 9:35am
Found what I'm looking for: HERE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic