West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First step toward turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First step toward turbo
    Posted: 02 December 2013 at 8:38am

So, I had to get some data. I downloaded dynolicious for the wife's iphone, got a load of groceries, and with the wife, and the groceries, went for a run.

It was really rainy, not the best environment. I had a ton of wheel spin on takeoff, and kinda half assed it, then gave up in 4th 'cause I felt like I was pretty fast for conditions.

It ended up being a 15.4 at 97mph. Not bad for such a horrible run.

I'm looking forward to a dry day!!

Chay

86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2013 at 5:53pm
Well, I finally got her working pretty well. The boost is pretty solid at 8psi. She goes pretty good.

I think I'm a little lean, so there's some tuning to do, but it's getting pretty damn good.

Pulls out past 5k, really nice between 3 and 5k on boost.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 8:12pm
Sounds like you got it just about tuned know.
Hope you get it on the road the way you want
it to run soon,cheers.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2013 at 12:48pm
Update: I've been having wastegate problems. I plumbed the damn thing backwards! It's oscillating. Well, live and learn.

The good part is it pulls hard again! I had multiple issues with boost leaks and exhaust leaks pre turbine. It sure spools now!!!

The intake change did cost me some flow, but not nearly as much as I had thought.

Hopefully I'll have her RIGHT soon! Then, autocross!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 11:19pm
Too busy right now. Lots of kids stuff on the weekends.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
bcampbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 9:01pm
Going to autocross on Sunday?
'86 2m6 F23 5-speed, LSD, 3.5L LX9
'89 Firebird 3500T, T56
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 8:47pm
If I could find a 3.4 Camaro intake I'd try it, but I think I need to go back to the dual tbs on my existing intake. At 10psi it pulled well, then fell on it's face at 4k+rpm. Just not nearly the free revving machine it was.

Just waiting for some gas, then I'll fire up the tig!

Chay

Edited by CFoss
86 SE 3.4
bcampbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 1:19pm
Now that you're DIS have you considered the 3.4 RWD intake? I think
it's supposed to flow better than the fiero one.

I saw your car the other night in Duncan. Sounds good!
'89 Firebird 3500T, T56
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 1:06pm
Well, I finished my intake..took it for a spin and I'm really not happy with it.

The single throttle body and associated piping has cost me lots of top end. I can't believe how much actually. The engine hits the wall at about 4200rpm...boost helps but is not a fix for poor air flow. It is way more driveable at low throttle settings, but it's not a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

I'm waiting for a bottle of argon, and then I will be restoring the dual setup. I think I'll stick with the early 90s cavi throttle bodies though, they are easier to work from a few perspectives.

Onward and upward!!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 9:42am
Nice score! looks like your all set now,Miller a good welder.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 8:14pm
Got totally sidetracked! I had to go to Van for a course (I'm now cert. in fiber optics...cool stuff). To make the best of the trip, I bought a gigantic old welder, a Miller 300a. 850lbs of welder, and the power to torch almost anything! It even has a build in high frequency source, gas and water control valves built in.

It came with 4 tig torches, a mig spool gun for Al, standard stick welding stuff, gas regulator, plus a TON of consumables: 4 1 lb reels of Al, more tungstens than I can count, tips, gas lenses...unreal.
Can wait to get bust finishing off the changes to my intake tract. Now that I have a good welder at home it should go WAY faster!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 11:06am
The alt was acting like the reg was shot...lots of voltage spikes and when loaded the volts would droop.

I checked the connector a couple of times, and it was fine. When I took the loom apart the neg wire on the field (alt black wire on the small plug) was broken about 18" away from the plug...so yeah, no field on the alt, it was just self-exciting to the point it was barely working.

It may be a week or two before she's back, but I'm moving in the right direction anyway!

I really wanted to do this stuff before winter so I didn't have to be doing it in the rain...it's worked out well so far.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 8:19pm
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 8:08pm
So looks like you will be back on road soon,what was it
that was wrong with the alt,was it part of the stock wiring.
hope you get it back togather soon,summer is gettin on!
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 2:08pm
Well, I found that the alt wiring wasn't correct, so I fixed that. I think the alt will work like it should now.

I pulled the engine and that allowed me to switch to the vband on the turbo manifold, do the clutch, fix the vss sensor, fix a turbo oil return leak, modify the intake manifold back to a single throttle body (I used a 91 Cavi TB).

Now all that is left is to fix up the turbo to throttle body connection and reinstall the engine. I'm completely rewiring the engine bay and installing a terminal block between the engine bay and the ecm plugs. This will make it easy to wire, and provide an intermediate point for connection while troubleshooting and hooking in auxiliary devices like the wideband etc.

It continues...

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2013 at 11:55am
Well, I've decided it's time to take the car off the road for some needed tweaks.

1) New alt
2) New clutch
3) Better exhuast coupling on the rear bank (vband)
4) Get rid of the dual throttle body and go to a big single
5) Engine bay cleanup, rewire, reinstall the DIS module
6) Fix my VSS sensor
7) Investigate lowering by 1-1.5"
8) Make better supports for my cold air induction

Should be a good couple weeks in it!

Chay
86 SE 3.4
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 9:00am

I got it from Maxwell's.

They had a bunch in the back on the rack. Nice guys to deal with and they tend to not bend you over the counter like Blacky's.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
bcampbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2013 at 1:58am
Hey Chay where did you get your DIS pack for $60? I'm in
need of another set since I burned out the ones in my
Firebird I think from too much heat from one of the
manifolds.
'89 Firebird 3500T, T56
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2013 at 8:51am

I've read a lot about them as well. I almost went Spec, but then I read about their solid hubs exploding and their sprung hubs coming apart...

Long story short, Clutchnet seems to be the way to go.

Chay

86 SE 3.4
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 2:38pm
Yes 6 Puck...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic