West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bondo Boys install a hood vent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bondo Boys install a hood vent
    Posted: 12 September 2009 at 2:39pm

On the Labour Day weekend, I received an education from Clynt and John Carlo on how to work with fiberglass. I had never done anything with fiberglass previously, so it was all very new and exciting for me!

To back up half a step, I had bought a Fiero hood with a vent "installed" that I had found on Craigslist for next to nothing. Here’s the image from Craigslist.

And here it is on my car when I brought it back to my place.

I got the hood cheap because whomever tried to install the vents basically butchered the hood. The vents weren’t installed properly, and the underside of the hood that seals on the rubber gasket around the spare tire compartment had all been hacked up.

Both Clynt and John suggested if I had a spare hood that we should start from scratch. It just so happens I had an extra white hood (as I wanted to keep my original black hood intact), so the process began.

On the first day of my fiberglassing tutorial I had my camcorder with me, so I had a bit of fun with the video of Clynt cutting the vents out of the Craigslist hood.

To download, right click and select "Save Target As..."

The Bondo Boys (low res 11 MB) best viewed in a small window at 100%, to be downloaded from Here

The Bondo Boys (hi res 169 MB) best viewed full screen, to be downloaded from Here

Over the next two days, both John and I took a bunch of pictures. Enjoy!

Here's John and Clynt looking things over.

Believe it or not, this is the first time in my life I had ever used a grinder/cutting wheel. Always something to learn!

This was pretty stressful for a newb, cutting through the top layer of the hood without cutting the structure underneath (except for the part that had to be removed).

And here's John starting to work his magic.

My favorite shot of the Bondo Boys in action!

Interesting what the flash does to dust particles in the air!

And now finally on the car! (With only primer.)

The underside. Very different than the first hood. Structural integrity and the seal area have not been compromised, and the vents are actually two inches farther back for better air flow from the rad. I'll eventually paint the underside as well.

The final shot.

And mercifully, that's it!

* Might be a couple additional shots after the hood is painted with more than just primer though.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 3:13pm

This is what makes involvement in a club such a rewarding experience - people such as John and Clynt (and others of course) who have knowledge and talent they're willing to share.

Thanks so much guys!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 7:06pm
Very nice set of pics, looking forward in seeing the final product:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 7:08pm
I hope you said thanks to them both and gave them a big hug.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 12:46am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Very nice set of pics, looking forward in seeing the final product:)

Thanks Brian. I'm looking forward to seeing the "final product" as well because I'm not done yet!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 12:50am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

No sorry, there was no hugging afterwards. We all agreed beforehand we weren't into weird stuff. 

I certainly thanked both Clynt and John though. Great guys!

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

No sorry, there was no hugging afterwards. We all agreed beforehand we weren't into weird stuff. 

Not that there's anything wrong with it !

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 9:04am
After speaking with John Carlo last night, looks like we are going to have to do another thread like this.  As John is going to come over next Saturday and help me with the custom nose on the front of my 857GT  build   We are going to repair the damage to the nose, and re-enforce it,  So this should be real fun.   I am almost giddy about it.  Once that is done, I'll probably set the 857 on the ground.  With my knee sorta bunged up, I can still sit on a stool and work, or sit in the cabin and work, so I going to get a gear head or 2 over here to help me trace the wires in the ECm and get it fired up.  Oh I can't after hearing all the nice cars last the Wild V8 and Extreme V6 my little 2.8 is just too quite.  Rumble Rumble VROOM VROOM, Tire Smoke, Burt Rubber, Oh how I miss that smell.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 12:02pm
Hey Johnny or Clynt, have either of you ever had any luck finding Carbon Fibre or Carbon/Kevlar at any of the places you buy fibreglass from? I've been looking to buy some, but there's like... Nowhere that sells the raw material. lol
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 1:30pm
oh wow! that hood is too awesome! i saw it on craigslist, thinking of pickin it up, but wouldn't have had a chance of tackling that project. props to you guys!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 11:52am

Originally posted by 92rsrskyline 92rsrskyline wrote:

oh wow! that hood is too awesome!

Thanks! Yes, I was pretty happy with the way it came out.

It still needs a bit more sanding (from a certain angle we noticed the rear "seam" at the club meeting) and of course proper paint, but yeah, it's not too shabby.

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 9:13pm

Carbon fibre reinforced woven fabric

For small quantities by the yard or metre try:

Industrial Plastics and Paint, Richmond or Langley

Coast Fibretech on Boundry in Burnaby

Surrey Plasticworks on 132 in Surrey

At one time or another they have all had rolls on the floor.

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 12:33am
Oh, you're the man Marcel!
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 12:03pm

Well, did some phoning around, and here's what I found.

84.99 per yard (Middle of the road quality), various widths, depths and cross-grains. Industrial Plastics and Paint.

55.00 per yard, 55 inches wide, unknown depth and cross-grain. Coast Fibretech.

67.00 per yard, 50 inches wide, 1/8th of an inch thick, 2 by 12 cross-grain. Plasticworks.

In case anyone's interested.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 3:30pm

There you go...
Was shopping at Boundary location this afternoon and shot few pics.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic