Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 3800 SC1 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 3800 SC1 swap
    Posted: 07 March 2009 at 4:47pm
I'm finally going to get some real work done on this swap so I'm starting this thread to show my progress and get some help when needed.

The car:

1988 GT

The engine:

From a 1995 oldsmobile 88.

I took apart the engine to make sure it was good inside and for the learning experience and right now the heads havn't been put back on yet. So that's where that is at.

For the mounts, I know the transmission is the same that was used with the series 2 engines so those will be easy to find but what about the engine mounts? Will mounts for a series 2 engine fit this one? or will I have to get them made up myself?

Any tips to make this easier will be appreciated.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 5:31am

It's my understanding that the engine mounting hole position is the same in the series 2 engine as the series 1 engine. A wcf mount should work but e-mail them and ask.

D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 4:56pm
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I'll send an email over to wcf and let you know.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 6:41pm
Got a reply and Chris at WCF said they'll work fine. I'll order them pretty soon.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:59pm
Well I'm still slowly working on getting the motor back together, I decided to do a port and polish job on it so picked up a dye grinder and some sanding drums this weekend. But forgot to get the mandrel to put the 2 together 

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 11:29pm
Progress!

I finally finished doing the heads and got them back from the machine shop this week.

So now the heads are back on but we only just now realized that lordco gave us the gasket set for the series 2 motor. We had bought most of another set of ebay for a few bucks though so we have most of what we need but not enough for the intake manifold yet though.

so here it is as it sits tonight.

84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 11:06pm
updates?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 12:01pm
There has been a little progress, i got the engine back together minus electronics, alternator, throttle body and fuel systems. I have to wait to get the cradle out of the car before I can start trying to mount the alt. I plan on putting it in place of the A/C compressor with a custom built bracket on the same belt as the S/C and waterpump so I only need the one belt.

I had to spend most of my time this summer replacing the head gaskets on my eldorado and installing a head stud kit.(pic)

Unfortunately this project is on hold for the next year or so as I'm leaving for New Zealand/Australia this friday and won't be back till around spring 2011.

I'll go snap some photos of the engine as it sits now this afternoon.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 3:07pm
pics as promised

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:12pm
how much power does the series I put out?
84 Indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 84 Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 8:44pm
oh come on your so close now!!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 10:50am
Stock is about 225hp/260lb-ft.

Not sure how much the porting will do but the lack of power steering and A/C should free up some power.

I will probably get some new rockers and port the blower somewhere along the way along with a cold air intake.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 7:03pm
Are you going to put an undersize pulley on later too?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 10:09pm
 I was thinking a turbo, much later. Undersize pulleys don't do much for the earlier gen SCs like the do for the newer ones. The stock pulley is already smaller then on the series 2 and 3 motors because the supercharger isn't nearly as efficient.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 6:24pm
Don't you dare go to Turbo. That's like slapping god in the face for giving you a winning lottery ticket. Think of the throttle response and low end power you stand to lose!
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 2:50pm
I might, and might not. I could always try to make a new intake manifold to fit a newer S/C. We changed out plans for our trip, we spend the last few weeks touring all over NZ and decided working etc would be easier back home so we're coming back to Canada pretty soon. So hopefully I will be able to get a lot more work done over the winter.

Progress will resume soon
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 2:25pm
Well we pretty much have the car ready to take the engine out, hopefully we will have time to do it this week but that might not happen till the weekend or next week.

question:
I have a cradle, trans, axles, suspension from an 85, would I be able to bolt that into the 88 just so i can still roll the car around while i work on getting the engine mounted to the 88 cradle?
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 5:05pm
The cradle will fit (probably - there's been slight changes I've seen - like on the order of 1/4") from year to year.

Problem is the struts won't line up.

But since you're only going to roll it around, you might be able to just rig up some blocks of wood in place of the struts!  Bolt them where they're supposed to go in the knuckles - then screw a little bit of plywood to the top of the post where it would go in the tower.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 11:44am

Harrison (D_sensitized), nice to meet you at the wrecking yard. Thanks for the use of the tiny Allen wrench!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 7:07pm
Thanks, I'll see what I can do to rig up some blocks. Today I started
disconnecting wires and hoses in preparation to pull out the engine.
Nice to meet you as well Patrick, I will most likely be returning to pick
a part sometime this week or weekend to get all the engine mounts
out of a Pontiac trans sport.
Does anyone know if the oil filter holder from a 1995 oldsmobile eighty
eighty will work in a fiero? I will probably grab the one off the van
anyway that puts the filter up over the axle.

I plan on making a custom mount to put the alternator down where the
A/C compressor used to be. But I'll have to wait to get it on the cradle
to make sure there's enough clearance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic