West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Torque Converter not locking up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote hepster_daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Converter not locking up
    Posted: 25 February 2009 at 8:47am

Hey all,

I have been building this Fiero for a while now and it is driving very nicely, there are still some issue I need to address before i can call it done.

1. Torque Converter Doesn't lock up. anyone know where the locking solenoid is located?

2. Cooling system had to be "re-designed" The temp guage doesn't work and nor does the fan when hooked up to the stock wiring harness. The guage does have power to it though as it moves when you turn the key to on. any hints? I have replaced both the sending units and the fan is hooked up to an aftermarket programmable relay.

3. There is a lot of play in the front end....thinking ball joints and bushings. anyone replace the front end bushings? care to tell me about it?

4. A bit of an exhaust leak. hey, that one is easy, I'm just lazy.

Its an 87GT automatic. Its only an automatic so the wife can drive it.

"Failure is not an option.........It comes bundled with windows."
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 9:10am

Ok trying to answer as I go, Torque converter solenoid is located in the Trans, you have to remove the side panel on the trans, double check to make sure someone did not unplug it first.  Its a 4 wire plug on the drivers side of the trans, towards the passenger compartment.   Cooling system, make sure your coolant fan switch is good.  You have 4 different Coolant sensors, one for the dash, one for the ECM and one for the fan.  Dash is located on the trunk side, drivers side head, fan is in the intake manifold just forward of the thermostat housing, ECM is installed horizontally into the intake manifold near the thermostat housing.

9 out of 10 times a Fiero of our age has a bad rack, if you can feel the slop in the steering wheel.  Replacing the bushings is a Royal PITA job.  Upper ball joints are easy, lower ball joints are pressed or welded in place, which again becomes a PITA.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic