West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My dog owes me big time.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My dog owes me big time.
    Posted: 22 January 2009 at 10:45pm

My girlfriend has been taking Frankie, our husky, for walks around Trout Lake here in Vancouver. For the last month or so during this cold snap we've been having, there's been a relatively thin layer of ice on the lake. I met her there today, and the first thing I commented on was that I was a little leery of Frankie (as well as the other dogs) going out on this thin ice and falling through. She said it hadn't appeared to have been a problem the numerous times she's been there. Okay fine.

We walked around the lake to an area where there was a patch of open water with about a hundred ducks in it. Frankie won't swim, but she'll go into the water up to her chest and splash around. So Frankie was running around and the ducks were laughing at her because she couldn't reach them. All of a sudden Frankie bolts around to where there's ice near the shore and runs out onto the ice. You just know what's coming next, don't you?

Frankie gets to the edge of the ice to try and get closer to the ducks and she then falls through the ice. She's about 50 feet from the shore and instead of trying to swim for the shore (which she could do if she tried), she instead panics and trys to climb back up onto the ice. The ice just breaks and she can't get up on it. We're calling and calling her and trying to convince her to swim to us. No dice. She starts crying and yelping which begins to attract a crowd. At this point I still wasn't worried because huskies have a very thick coat of fur, and I knew she wasn't yet suffering from the cold. However, I could tell she was panicking, and my girlfriend was also starting to do dumb things, like walking out on the ice to get to the dog!

I could see things were getting out of hand, so off came my boots and my socks and my jacket and into the water I went. As I say, Frankie was about 50 feet from the shore, and after about three steps in the frigid water I couldn't feel my toes anymore! Luckily the water was very shallow and by the time I got out to her the water was just below the family jewels. I grabbed Frankie's collar with one hand and put my other hand under her chest and picked her up. I was immediately taken by how fast and hard Frankie's heart was pounding! I carried her back to shore admist a round of applause from all the onlookers. Frankie was none the worse for wear after a good shake.

I came home and had a hot bath. I can now feel my toes again.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 4:05pm
Watching YouTube for the upcoming "rescue" video that somebody probably shot.  
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 6:41pm
Wow - glad to hear all are safe.
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 7:04pm
Touching Story. If Duke ever got into that predicament, I'd do the same. Glad your alright, and glad the pooch is alright.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 1:00am

Thanks guys.

I was talking to the park caretaker afterwards, and he said every time Trout Lake freezes over that unfortunately one or two dogs end up drowning at some point. Sad but true.

I guess what happens is that they fall through the ice in the middle of the lake which makes getting to them next to impossible.

I was fortunate that there was clear water between the shore and where Frankie was hanging on to the edge of the ice. This allowed me to wade out to her. If the water had been deeper, it also would've been possible to swim out to her. However, when dogs go through holes in the ice and they're surrounded by thin ice, then it becomes awfully difficult to get to them safely.

Oh, that would be heartbreaking to watch your dog drown because you couldn't get to it without sacrificing yourself in the process.

I think the lesson to be learned here is to avoid large frozen bodies of water unless the ice is perfectly safe for dogs and people to walk on. For us there will be no more off-leash visits to Trout Lake until the ice is gone. I love Frankie too much to lose her while taking unnecessary risks.

By the way, at least one person did shoot video of the rescue on their cell phone. I'm not sure about YouTube, but no, it didn't make the 6 o'clock news. 

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 10:25pm

All this talk about YouTube has inspired me to finally learn how to upload videos there.

So I've uploaded a video I shot and edited a year and a half ago of Frankie frolicking on the beach at Spanish Banks at low tide with Anne and the kids.

Crank up your speakers and tap your toes to the music... 

Click Here.

Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 11:18pm

Hey.....Patrick,

Good job on the video. What a great looking dog.

Cheers - Nigel

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 10:42am

Thanks Nigel.

I enjoy working with video and I love being around Frankie.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 12:19pm
Great story...never knew you had this dog as I love Huskies, had one myself...glad everyone is safe and sound:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 5:45pm

Thanks Brian. Yes, huskies are wonderful dogs!

I've always loved the way they looked, but one of the biggest reasons we ended up getting a husky is that I'm allergic to 99% of other breeds of dogs (as well as cats, birds, etc). There's something different (or absent) with the dander of huskies and malamutes.

I don't react to Frankie at all. It's a dream come true!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:17pm
Yup...he's a beautiful dog...I had a Siberian Timberwolf, she was a runt, saved her from this F%^%#^ who was a dog sled tour guide in Whister that was inter-breading them...chain them up to trees and have at it.  My secretary at the time told me about how she went to buy a dog from him and saw her, she would not have survived as all he fed them was meat and the toughest made it.

I went there and made him a offer, he said, no, come back in a week and if she's alive you can have her, but he knew she would not make it and that's what he was worried about...a fricken refund!!!, I didn't care about that but he didn;t care...so with a few staff that worked for me, we went in the middle of the night and dog napped her...amazing girl she was:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:46pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Yup...he's a beautiful dog...

Frankie may have a lot of testosterone, but Frankie is a SHE.  

Frankie was originally bred as sled dog up north, but she was also the runt of the litter and the breeder didn't want her on the "team". Being the runt, she learned at a young age not to take any nonsense from other dogs. (As a seven year old adult, she's 53 lbs, all muscle.) Frankie can be quite fiesty at the dog park, not necessarily aggressive, but it's obvious she thinks she's the alpha canine.  However, as you probably noticed in my video, she's ever so gentle with people and kids.

The only time I've ever witnessed Frankie being submissive was with two different 100 lb male malamutes. She may be fiesty, but she's not stupid.

That's an interesting story about your husky. That's terrific that you were able to "dognap" her from the jerk at Whistler. Got any pictures of her?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:53pm
I do...I'll have to scan for you
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:54pm

Great!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 5:41pm
Hey Patrick and for those who like doggies:)...found the only pics I have and scanned:

When she was a pup:

The Stud:

Proud Mom:

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 2:47pm

Brian, great shots, but now I've got more questions!

1) What was her name?

2) How long did you have her?

3) How long ago did she pass away?

4) I somehow got the impression from what you had earlier posted that you had saved her from that jerk at Whistler while he was trying to breed her, but you appear to have gotten her as pup. Is that right?

5) What kind of dog was the "stud" that you bred her with?

6) How many puppies did she have and what became of them?

She looks like a fine dog. Quite different than a purebred Husky as she's more lanky. I guess that's the Timberwolf in her! Very interesting combination.

She looks exhausted in that shot of her with the two pups!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 5:34pm
Hey bud...I'll reply below:)

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Brian, great shots, but now I've got more questions!

1) What was her name?Tia

2) How long did you have her? With my girlfriend at the time, almost 3 years.  I left Whislter and she kept the dogs, was the hardest thing to leave, but a very nasty relationship and where I moved too I could not keep her...we also had 3 cats.

3) How long ago did she pass away? My ex contacted me to say hello on Facebook recently and she said Tia passed away a few years ago, so she lived for almost 14 years, Pugg the daughter passed away shortly after in depression she thinks.  That was one of our issues, she went ahead and knocked her up when she not even 1 years old, and Tia had 3 still-births, and ony 2 pups survived...but Tia almost passed away to tonix shock as she had to have an emergency C-section.

4) I somehow got the impression from what you had earlier posted that you had saved her from that jerk at Whistler while he was trying to breed her, but you appear to have gotten her as pup. Is that right? Correct...and years later the city ran him out of town:)

5) What kind of dog was the "stud" that you bred her with? He was a ShepPard/Rotty

6) How many puppies did she have and what became of them? Answered above:)

She looks like a fine dog. Quite different than a purebred Husky as she's more lanky. I guess that's the Timberwolf in her! Very interesting combination.Ya...a lot of Timber in her, she was maybe 70lbs...again the guy was inter-breading the dogs.  My secratary's dog was deaf, from the same litter I think

She looks exhausted in that shot of her with the two pups! She went through a lot...

* (Brian, any chance you could substitute the shots below with the ones you have in your post above? I've re-sized them to 800 pixels width as images wider than that cause a real problem for those of us running 1024x768 screen resolution. With wider images, not only can we not see the entire image, but the whole thread now needs to be scrolled back and forth side to side to read the posts. If you could make the switch, then I can delete the images in my post. Thanks!)

Sorry...Photobucket:(...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

hangmans8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hangmans8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 6:27pm
i saw the dog and thought "LITTLIST HOBBO" the old tv show

1987 gt 5spd
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 11:04am
Yes...heard that several times:)...she have seen her when I put on the harness and she pulled me on my roller blades along the Valley Trails in Whistler...loved to run.

Kerstin and I certainly have our eye on a pure Syberian like Frankie when we have a larger place...and time:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic