West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe
    Posted: 24 March 2007 at 4:54pm

After haggling over price for half a year I finally got my Buick 3800 tpi home and out of it's car. I plan to install the engine and it's 4 speed auto into my 85 2m4.

I'd like to here from anybody that may have advice on this swap.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 11:34pm

Uhm advice.  Hmm, slap a big fat turbo on it. :)

That engine looks very nice and will make a great addition to your car. I can't wait to see it up and running.  Will have to take me for a boot in it when it is done. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 8:00am

I have the tubo in the 3.8 T type Riv that I have to bring back

from the Island. I think it will work good on this engine

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 10:31am
Looks very HOT, Blair! What year Buick 3800 tpi ?
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 5:48pm

The engine is from a 93 regal. It's a 3800 series 1 tpi 170hp 220 t

with a thm4t60e trans.

It should be an improvement over the duke tm125c combo.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 6:03pm

I've started designing the mounts to install engine\trans onto the cradle. With all the problems of rubber mounts and the expense of ploy mounts I'm starting to think that solid mounting is the way to go. It's the same amount of work but gives me more room for stronger mounts. The cradle mounts should dampen vibration.

What are the down sides of solid mounting to the cradle?

Are there drive line problems that develop from solid mounting on Fieros

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 8:25pm
With the automatic you should be fine, its only with the standards where the shock loads are more that people start breaking trans axles. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2007 at 5:51pm

I opted to go with mounts that fit the stock Fiero setup. I used a Isuzu to locate engine mount position and made a heavy duty mount for it. Now I can reinstall the 4t60 trans and setup for the trans mounts.

I couldn't handle the dirty trans so off to U-blast it when't

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2007 at 7:16pm
Dang Blair that tranny came out really nice.  I might have to take my next Isuzu down and get it cleaned up the same way.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 6:17am

Here is a couple pics of the trans mounts for the 4t60-E. Look at how close the trans is to the cradle. I made the mounts fit the stock rubbers but will be going to polys.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 5:44pm

I'm now working on the wiring harness for the 3800. I came across a cool site that I thought I would share. It's dtcc.cz28.com  It has a lot of good Fiero engine swap info including pinout diagrams for ecms.

If anyone knows of any other sites like this one, please post.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 6:03pm
Now all you need to do is get the motor in a car in 30 days. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 7:12pm

I can have it in a car by tomorrow but without axles ,fuel ,exhaust ,and power it's a long push.

I am hard at work on the wiring harness. I think that this is going to take the longest.

Anybody have a wiring diagram for a 93 Regal 3800 tpi ?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 11:02pm
I know somoene who does, I will see if I can get him to send me the files.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 4:45pm

I finished reworking the wiring harness to fit in a Fiero and reinstalled it on the engine.( Thanks to Gold Key Pontiac for unlimited access to there books and Captain Fiero for some pin diagrams.) I also finished the new front belt drive setup with AC and power steering delete. Now it's time to reinforce the cradle so it can handle the torque of the 3800 engine

If there is any body looking to do an engine swap Langley Discount Used Parts LTD. has a 3800 series 2 supercharged engine with low KM for $2,000. Do you wont to go fast?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 6:27pm
I am glad you are taking lots of pics.  We are going to need to to see how you do it, so we can do a similar setup when we put a 4T40 into Lisa's V6 car.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:35pm
The engine cradle is ready for the engine now. I reinforced the cross brace with a 3"x 1/8" flat bar insert.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:37pm
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 9:34am

3800tpi swap update.          ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;      My backup car is going to Dale's and aircare next weekend and then I can pull my 85 off the road and start installing the new motor.        The 3800 is as fare as I can go out of the car. The rear suspension is all rebuilt, all mounts and bushings are polyed up. While I have the car off the road it will be getting a full front end rebuild and Grand Am brake upgrade as well.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 8:15pm

Half way done. The engine bay is painted and heat shielded. I installed the engine 30 min. ago and so far things look good.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic