West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nuriko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nuriko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3800 TPI 4spd Auto into 86 Coupe
    Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Blair Blair wrote:

The best one to ask that question is Fast Fieros out of Dallis Texas. Generally 8 to 10 lbs boost is it before detonation occurs. There are ways around that but you loose steetability in the proses. For the 3800 na there said to handle about 400hp with vary little mods compared to the 500+ hp of the sc bottom end.

i am living in texas area. i agree that in dallas there are lots of texas auto repair shops which can answer questions and give techniques about car boost.
nuriko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nuriko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Blair Blair wrote:

The best one to ask that question is Fast Fieros out of Dallis Texas. Generally 8 to 10 lbs boost is it before detonation occurs. There are ways around that but you loose steetability in the proses. For the 3800 na there said to handle about 400hp with vary little mods compared to the 500+ hp of the sc bottom end.

when i was on texas, i got a shop there where they fixed my car very nice. i got this texas auto repair shop from google. weill i guess i gonna contact again that shop
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 8:42pm
Can you say SLEEEEPER......:)

You dream it up....I'll make it
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 6:45pm
This morning I had to get up early and drop off a rendering for a deadline meeting for 9:00. Then after that I
stopped into Euphoria Chocolates for a latte and muffin. While I was there Blair mentioned that he bought a guitar
and Angie bought a SAX. I told him I was in the market for a guitar as well, so we drove to Langley in my chopper
and I bought the guitar that I had been looking for all over Vancouver! After that Blair wanted me to hear the 3800
supercharger that he just got running.

So while I was there I made a short video and here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-RvehirWtU

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 8:33am
Well Blair, we will just have to hear it in person.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:37am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Blair your soundbite is here, www.captfiero.com/398.wav

Thanks Dave.

The sound bite is the newly installed 3800sc idling after it's first full temp warm up. What can't be herd is the blower wining and a deep subsonic note from the exhaust.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 6:56am
Blair your soundbite is here, www.captfiero.com/398.wav
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 2:53am

Things are coming along on the motor swap and I,m at the engine runs but do I trust it stage. I have found a couple miner wiring problems but they proved easy to find with the wiring layout I went with.

I didn't trust the belt to stay on the pulley so my good friend Tim made a pulley with sides to support the belt and prevent it from walking off.

alignment

The pulley was a tight fit but did the trick well with only small mods to the water pump bolts for clearance. Sighting down the new pulley identified a 1/16" miss of the alternator pulley and required a mod to the alt. bracket. Now the alternator can be adjusted up to 1/8" in both directions.

The car is getting close to being ready for road testing but I'm a ways from being ready for aircare. Hope to have it out soon.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:28pm

Ok, I'll be by for a visit:)...looking good, can imagine the sound:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:51pm

Here's a pic of the finished exhaust system

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:16am

I've been working hard on getting this swap done but there's always something more to do. My intent to make the May meeting with the car fizzled when my pass key module failed to show on time but this gave me time the rework the exhaust and finish the trunk.

Here's a pic of the underside of the trunk. I cut a aluminum sheet to fit the trunk floor, applied heat shielding to the underside and riveted and sealed it into place. Then I sheeted the rear underside and made a heat shield for the underside of the trunk.

Here is the finished exhaust system. It is a center exit exhaust with flowmaster muffler and 2-1/2" pipe. Flange to tip is 24" with a total length of 60".

Here's the new exhaust system installed in the car. Lots of heat control, lots of room for exhaust changes.

I will build a aircare exhaust system with a cat for testing.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:18am

WOW Blair as usual with you, that is truly Amazing.  I may have to take a tip from your awesomeness and do something similar with my 4.9 ECM.  I hate how all the wires are just kinda bundled up and shoved to the side.

I am planning on getting my 4.9 on the road this summer, so I may, if you are able/willing get you to weld in my brace for the bulkhead.   Clynt made me a real nice triangulated brace that nearly matches the OEM brace on the right side of the strut tower to trunk wall, just this one goes on the left side.

With my new Nitrous kit and M/T slicks I am going to need all the bracing I can get.  I am estimating with the nitrous I should be making 500lbs of torque when I launch.

Again, I love your work, it is so clean and perfect.  Between you and Craker, I don't think I have ever seen either of you build anything that was sub standard, its always got to be perfect or it won't leave your shop.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:00am

hi again, after a long winter it's finally warm-er in my shop and work have resumed. I spent the last three days working on the electrical and I think it's about 99% done. The console proved to be a big time consumer but the 200 or so wires are all connected and operational.

This wiring layout will allow for quick field testing/trouble shooting. It will be much easier to add new functions as well.

I banded the connections to indicate function- Yellow-gouges/ green- coolant/ gray- diagnostics/red- power sup.

All wiring for the swap has been documented and is to be kept in a book with the car. No chance I will remember anything about the wiring later and if I try to take a swapped car to a shop they will laugh me out of the shop. Shops can't fix swapped cars. Too hard of a job.

I test ran the engine but it doesn't run long. I will have to order the pass-key eliminator and wire it to the blue banded wire on the connection bar.

I hope to finish the car by the end of spring but I am in no hurry. Just enjoying the build.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Looks like the kind of support I need with my Duke!

Great job as usual, Blair.

'Aye, careful those raging 90 horses don't rip the mounts off.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:05pm

Looks like the kind of support I need with my Duke!

Great job as usual, Blair.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:08pm

I finished the upper left engine mount and brace. I went with a overkill approach to it's design. ( I plan on boosting engine output in the future.)

The brace is mounted to the rear engine bulkhead were the bolts can catch the brace. It also ties into the shock towers and upper right engine mount.

The brace triangulates the rear engine bulkhead increasing strength and providing ridged mounts for the upper dogbone. Without this brace you will pull the bulkhead off its welds if you use a left mount.

The left engine mount was hard to make. The exhaust flange is right there under the dogbone mount and bracing for the movement of the engine took some thought. The left and right engine dogbone mounts are parallel to each other to keep engine movement equal and without twisting action. This should increase traction lessoning wheel hop.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 9:03pm
Looking amazing Blair.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 6:22pm

Well after 2 weeks on the injured and heavily medicated list from a past shoulder injury I finally got back in the shop only to catch a cold with a shop temp of -10c. However I did get some work done.

Here is what my upper engine mount on the right turned out like.

As soon as I am over this cold I will be working on the left upper engine mount. The second mount is optional but I plan on some engine mods in the future that will require it. I also feel that there is too much engine movement with all the extra torque when only one top mount is used.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 7:59pm
Romeo.....hehehehehe

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 7:02pm
I don't think it's THAT tight, I find it to be much cleaner then the stock V6 with a lot less vacuum lines running around as well as mounting the alt way down too. A fair amount of room to work around things. Although I really didn't do much work in there at all with the stock engine installed.

I'd like to see how you do the dogbone mount, since I never put one of those in my swap...
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic