West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getrag parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getrag parts
    Posted: 16 September 2014 at 7:45pm
Just wondering if anyone has a clutch fork and arm for a 86 getrag.
Having some bad luck!!!
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 10:15pm
Its going to scare you, but The Fiero Store has them for $364 US Funds, I would guestimate by the time taxes, shipping and such, you would be around $400 for the Clutch Fork. (sorry to be the bearer of bad news)

Dang it, I can't get the URL to work, but go to their site using the below link and just do a search for fork and it will shop up.

http://fierostore.com/Product/Detail.aspx?s=54030; 1988

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2014 at 10:21pm
Side note, you do have options, like moving to an F23 transaxle which does not use a clutch fork at all. Harrison can fill you in on that. The trans can be found out at Pick A Part in Chilliwack for I believe 80 bucks, then from there I don't know. I think you need mounts and some sort of shift cable adapter. However in the end its a much more robust trans and uses fewer parts.

Or you can convert to an Isuzu 5spd which is much more common, however you will need both shift cables, which can be costly. (still cheaper than 400 but the cables are worth more than the trans)

Are you located in BC?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 5:21am
Thanks capt. Went the Fiero store route already. Don't have time to get
into it rite now, getting ready for work. Hope to chat later. I'm in
Lethbridge Alberta , but I did have my car out to surrey just before
clutch gernaded. Thanks for the reply. Heard u were a bunch of good
people out there! Later,Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 4:25pm
Have you tried the Calgary Fiero group, I hear they are good bunch of guys with lots of nice cars. Someone must have a spare Getrag out there.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 4:39pm
Haven't had any luck finding one out here yet.
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 6:03pm
A metal shop/machine shop should be able to make you a custom
one for less than $400,do some cold calling an see.its not a complex
part to make.hope this might help,good luck.
cheers
Joe
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 7:03pm
Thanks joe, but I would need one to copy from wouldn't i.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 7:20pm
I was gunna suggest you take my duke/isuzu off my hands for
free, cables included. But I the distance would be an
issue.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 8:44pm
I just got off the phone with another member and your car came up, he had a similar issue, and was able to take the trans to a trans shop, and they matched up the shift fork from a Getrag out of a Cavalier and it works perfect. I am sure you can find a cheap cavalier trans to rob the shift fork from. Maybe hit up a tranny shop, (the one with car parts not dresses) :) and see if they can help you.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 4:25pm
I was under the impression that they were different, but it would be
worth a try. I just don't have one to compare it to!! I did find a Muncie
4spd complete with shifter and cables. Any thoughts on what those
trans are like?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 7:15pm
It depends on the Muncie, there were 3 different ones, a 3.32 , a 3.65, and a 4.10 The 3.65 is the most common one. It was used on all 85V6 cars and most of the 86 V6 cars. The 3.65 is the toughest to break under any conditions, however leaving you a crusing rpm of 3500 on the freeway is a bit much for most people. Its fine in town zipping around as you can pull 80kph in 2nd gear, but the spacing between 2nd and 3rd is a bit much, then 3 to 4th is pretty narrow. GM set it up, so you use 1st and 2nd to get up to speed, then once on the freeway 3rd and 4th are used for cruising and passing. I have had my fair share of Muncies over the years.   If you find a rare 3.32 Muncie, it will need or at least should have the case strengthed up. However it has the tallest gears of ANY Fiero trans, netting a 2000rpm freeway speed. With a theoretical top speed of almost 300kph if you had the Horsepower to do it.   As to figuring out which Muncie you have, if it is smooth on the sides where the CV Shafts come out, its a 3.32 or 4.10 if it is ribbed like a spider web its a 3.65.    I know that is a tone of info to try and swallow in, but those are the details.   I have a link on my personal webpage, BRB Whew Ok I am back. Here is the link. Hope it helps. http://captfiero.com/transratios.htm

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic