West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiero Balljoint Separator Tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiero Balljoint Separator Tool
    Posted: 14 July 2010 at 11:52pm

Man oh man, one of these things is worth it's weight in gold, and Rodney sells them for $18.

It's a Fiero Balljoint Separator Tool and it'll make your life a whole lot easier if you need to get your front suspension apart.

I spent nine hours in the hot sun today over at Clynt's place taking the front end apart on my '84 so I could lower it. We used Clynt's pickle fork to separate the lower balljoints, and yes, we eventually got both sides done, but GOOD GAWD it was tough slogging!

And of course the pickle fork totally chews up the dust cover boots on the balljoints. So I'll have to take it all apart again (with the proper tool next time) to replace the dust cover boots. Hopefully I didn't screw up the actual balljoints as well.

Anyone have a part number for aftermarket Fiero balljoint dust cover boots? (Not the Prothane ones, just the regular rubber ones please.)

And if anyone has the part number for the tie-rod dust cover boots, that would be great as well.

By the way, the '84 looks a heck of a lot better with the front end lowered a couple of inches. 84's are especially high with their stock factory springs. Tomorrow we tackle the rear end!

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:26am
Too late now, I could have brought over my suspension tools.  Ball joint separater woulda popped it off in 5 seconds  

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:01pm
two hammers work really well too, and don't damage anything if you are a good shot
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

two hammers work really well too, and don't damage anything if you are a good shot

Well sure, doing your own dentistry works really too well "if you don't miss".
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Well sure, doing your own dentistry works really too well "if you don't miss".

what you don't do your own??????....   lol

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:40pm

Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Too late now, I could have brought over my suspension tools.  Ball joint separater woulda popped it off in 5 seconds  

Oh sure, NOW you tell me!!!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:43pm

We were using good size hammers all right, and they weren't doing us much good (along with the pickle fork). I was preparing the dynamite when Clynt was finally able to pound off the balljoint(s).

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:51pm
For the most part, my air hammer with a pickle fork attatchment usually gets most of them apart, for the really bad ones I heat with a propane torch then use the air hammer.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:35am

Austin, can you bring your balljoint popper along on Saturday in case we need it at Pick-a-Part?

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Austin, can you bring your balljoint popper along on Saturday in case we need it at Pick-a-Part?

I've loaned it out to a friend, I'll try to get it back tonight tho

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic