West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibrating noise.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vibrating noise.
    Posted: 07 July 2008 at 2:24pm
Theres a metal on metal vibrating noise coming from the engine bay, its not constant though, so i think its something external from the engine itself.  On PFF they suggested it may be the heat shield on the crossover pipe, but im not sure where that is exactly.
gtexotic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gtexotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 7:24pm
Could be the catalytic convertor
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 7:33pm
ya, i thought about that, how can i tell if it is or not?
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 8:31pm
Poke things with a screwdriver (etc) while it's running and making the noise.  If it's something rattling together, poking them firmly will tighten them up a bit and make the noise go away or change.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:33pm
i find that if i tap the exhaust tips, i hear the ratteling round, but i have to tap it pretty hard. The tips themselves aren't loose, and the brackets holding the exhaust in place are in tact. If it is the Cat, what am i looking at to get it fixed? 
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:38pm
I replaced my CAT with a Walker high flow for $250 tax in
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 11:21am
How hard is it to replace?  Is it something i could do myself?  I already dont want to spend $250, let alone the cost of a shop doing it...    Theres no sensors that have anything to do with the cat right?  Nothing i need to be worried about for the time being, besides the annoying sound?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic