West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ยป General Fiero Chat ยป General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hagerty Magazine Feature - car needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hagerty Magazine Feature - car needed
    Posted: 19 September 2016 at 10:42am
Hi all,

I'm working on an article for Hagerty Classic Car Insurance's quarterly magazine, and looking for a factory-spec Fiero to feature. I know there were a couple at the auto show this year. The story is on mid-engined collector-cars for the everyman: 1st gen MR2, Fiat X/19, Fiero. We'll take a jaunt up the Duffy Lake road and get some glamour shots.

Anyone interested? Please shoot me a message, or leave me your email so I can contact you that way. I'm hoping to get things sewn up in relatively short order, as I think we're still due a little good weather.

best,
-Brendan
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 12:44pm
Welcome to Westcoast Fieros of BC's forum, Brendan.  
I had considered all three of those cars when I ordered my Fiero.  I probably would have bought the Fiat if they were still in the Canadian market.  

My car is available, but there are a couple of really nice Fieros in this club still.  Maybe Glen can chime in with his.  or others....

What day were you planning?   It might be difficult fitting schedules.   If the photo session is happening this year, you might need to do it soon.   The last time i did a drive from Whistler to Lillooett in mid October, it snowed at the top of the hill and I found myself transporting a motorcyclist, who had fallen and broke his leg, to the hospital in Lillooet.   He was there for about 1/2 hour before I happened to show up.  

Edited by beken - 19 September 2016 at 5:44pm

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 8:37pm
Hi. I have 3 to choose from . A yellow 88GT that was at the Vancouver International Auto Show, an 87 Burgundy GT which is a real looker, and a Black 87GT. All in excellent condition. The yellow GT was sponsored by Hagerty in the show at the PNE Auto Show a few years ago as well. ๐Ÿ˜€
Fieroman88
BrendanMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2016 at 10:49am
That's great guys, thanks! I think it'll probably be one of the '88s - the Art Director will be picking cars based on colour, and my MR2 is white and the Fiat is green. This isn't really a comparison test so much as it's a celebration of all three cars and what to look for etc.

And yes, duly noted on the weather! I'm a local, I even lived in Lillooet in the 1980s so I know that when things turn frosty, that's it. I just love shooting the cars at the little boat ramp there on the Duffy. Thanks, I'm bugging the editors now to get the ball rolling!
-b

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 7:26pm
Can you send me an email? brendanmcaleer@gmail.com
That way, i can co-ordinate everyone's schedules over the next couple of weeks so we can get the jump on this before the weather turns.
-b
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:30am
@Glenn, 

Bring a camera, post a few pictures of your experience and share with us what happened.  

@Brendan,  Welcome to our forum and thanks for contacting our club .  

We look forward to seeing the magazine article. 

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 8:11pm
Appears I'm still looking - to clarify, the owner needs to be comfortable with me driving the car for a short stint.

By the way, apropos of nothing in particular, this reminds me that my first Revell model I ever built was a Fiero.
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 8:54pm
I think that this should have been mentioned up front, as you said a short jaunt and glamour shots, no mention about someone else driving. If there is an accident Is Hagerty paying up? Sorry but I'm out. Thanks for the offer.๐Ÿ˜€

Edited by Fieroman88 - 25 September 2016 at 10:15pm
Fieroman88

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 9:05am
Sure, should have mentioned up front, and I get that not everybody wants some writer driving their car. I just have to get a bit of time behind the wheel to talk authoritatively about the way each car drives. And, of course, we'd be respectful of any car.

Is there also a facebook page or somewhere else I should be looking? Can anyone suggest a club member with a relatively stock car that would work? It doesn't have to be a showcar, more a runner - i'd use yours in a heartbeat, Beken, but then I'd have to swap the MR2 because it's white, and the mandate is all three cars have to be different colours. As pointed out, the weather could be a challenge the later this takes to set up. I'd prefer to feature local cars, as I like to get the BC clubs some spotlight when I can: Hagerty's initial plan was to set something up out of Portland.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 5:44pm
So Brendan is looking for a non-white Fiero.  

Or find a White Fiat X1/9.   They did exist ;)    

Joe?  Maureen?  Lisa? 

I also questioned about the need for him to do the driving.   I can say that all three cars drive and handle quite differently.   So any comparison would be so open to subjective opinion that I probably wouldn't lend much credibility to the article. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrendanMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 8:39pm
Re: need to drive.

Just so we're clear, it's not a comparo - no winner is crowned. More a celebration of what all three cars represent. But I do need to drive to be able to accurately describe what it's like to the readership. FWIW, I've driven everything from a Model T to a Fiat Jolly to a Toyota 2000GT to a Honda N600. I grew up around classic cars and respect them and take great care whenever someone hands over the left seat, however briefly. Hopefully we can find a fit!
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 8:04am
The photo shoot is still on.   

It's this Sunday (Oct 23 2016) 

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2016 at 9:48am
Only showing a few of the pictures I took as I suspect the ones in the magazine will be copyrighted. 

Edited by beken - 11 October 2018 at 10:38am

ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2016 at 6:20pm
Nice pics Ken.Glad to see you made it to the event.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 4:59pm
Can't wait to see the actual magazine article.  

Also got invited to the MR2 club meetings. LOL

redwilley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redwilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2017 at 7:58pm
Any updates on magazine artical ?
redwilley
redwilley
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 2:31pm
Not yet.  

Only that they asked me for my mailing address last week.   So the magazine is coming out soon. 

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 5:39pm
I received a few advance copies of the magazine.  The magazine goes on sale in stores next month. 
Well written article and some great pictures.  I will post some pictures soon.   Of course, Hargerty Magazine would love it if you all bought a copy of the magazine.  Wink 

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:24pm
I'm not able to upload pictures of the magazine to this website and I don't think I should be uploading them to Flickr because that might be a copyright infringement.   So maybe in the future after the magazine comes out.  

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 10:59am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic