West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) » Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are battery terminals made of lead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are battery terminals made of lead?
    Posted: 22 April 2012 at 12:34pm

Just as the question says. It occured to me while tightening a terminal up today (Didn't strip it, don't worry) that lead is an awful material to use for that purpose. It isn't overly conductive, it's strength is pathetic and the cherry on top is that it's a health concern. So why use it? I could see if it was a resistance to the lead acid, but sure a lead "cover" could lead to a stronger, more conductive metal at the terminal itself? Between aluminum, copper and steel, I can think of much better candidates for terminals.

Anybody know?

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 7:17pm
I think because it corrodes very slowly and it's easy to cast into any shape.

It's already part of the battery so why not go all the way to the terminals.

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 5:45pm
I had no idea, but I was curious so I searched Google and ended up finding this.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2012 at 11:14am

That's a cool find, Colby. Kinda seems to satisfy most of my concerns with lead.

I guess the mallibility does make sense, in retrospect. For our side-posts though, I still feel like that's a flaw more than an advantage though. The side terminals are never 100% snug fits anyways, so the soft lead doesn't help there. All is does is damage easily.

I suspect you're likely right, Damien. Cheap and easy.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic