West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3400 Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

When I take the Fiero's heads off, I'll just measure the head displacement in comparison to the 3400, that should give a ballpark.

It's been ballparked that the 2.8 iron heads are about 67cc's.
The 3.1 aluminum ones were about 28cc.

If the 3.4's you've got follow suite...  uhhhh...  you're going to be about 13:1 (based on the calculator I linked too, and estimated a few numbers).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:51pm
Right off the bat, post-valve grind I can 100% garauntee you they're larger than 28cc's. They were about the same size as Chevy 305 chambers.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 6:54pm
Chunk of lexan...  some vaseline...  100cc syringe, and some colored water.  You'll know for sure in 5 min's!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:20pm
Yeah, I do intend to when I do the comparison, but in the mean time, I have no doubt they'll be substantially larger than 28cc's.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 2:09am

Well, just finished unloading $400 on Moog Ball joints (I started reading up on the Rodney Dickman one's, and didn't like what I saw), so it's back to heads now.

A good friend of mine gave me something that should make the time spent working on the whole project easier, as it wont leave me without a car. I've just inherited a second 2.8L FWD rotating assembly! Pretty much everything on the heads is done (Although the exhaust ports still need to be polished), so now I'm turning my attention to headers (I'll be making my own, decided I didn't want the stock log type). Also, the friend who lent me the engine and I are looking into a dry-sump system (Overkill, for sure. But hey, while the engine's in the open, why not?). Following those, I'll re-design the rotating assembly somewhat (Displacement will remain the same, but lighter internals will be used, and domed pistons put in as well). Lastly, it's on to doing my own intake (Trying to make it still look like the Fiero intake) and then a quick engine swap.

Wish me luck!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:00am

Well, just finished unloading $400 on Moog Ball joints

I started reading up on the Rodney Dickman one's, and didn't like what I saw

Come on now, that's not fair. Either say what the problem is or supply a couple of links.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:21pm
Well, either I could remain at stock heights, in which case it was cheaper for me to go to stock replacements, or their redeeming factor would've been the lowering factor (.5" or 1" drop). However, based upon the way ball joints, keeping them lowered stresses the control arms, and buggers the geometry of the suspension (As you've now drastically altered your SAI). Also, they need to be welded in, which I felt was odd, seeing as how GMs are all press-fit ball joints. So, after that, I decided my choices were between stockers and Moogs. Moogs were adjustable, so I can play around with my camber slightly (Only 1 degree either way), and they're press-fit, so, here I am. lol
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:43pm

Well, either I could remain at stock heights, in which case it was cheaper for me to go to stock replacements...

Moogs were adjustable

I dunno man, suit yourself.

Front Lower Ball Joint (no drop) - $18 

Front Upper Ball Joint (adjustable)- $20 

Rear Lower Ball Joint - $27.00 

Note - Receive 10% off from Rodney Dickman on any purchase of 4 or more tie rods and/or ball joints (any combination).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:23am

Canadian Brokerage Fee Per Ball Joint: $30.

Besides, I was still concerned with the welding statement... So with the exception of the front upper ball joints, there's no particular interest in waiting 4-6 weeks for what amounts to about stock replacements.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 11:03am

Canadian Brokerage Fee Per Ball Joint: $30.

On an $18 item ????

Where the heck did you get that info from?

Have them sent through USPS, not through a private carrier such as UPS or FedEx, and any brokerage fees will be minimal.

Besides, I was still concerned with the welding statement...

There is NO welding required for any of the ball joints pictured above, including the non-drop front lower ball joints.

Tristan, I'm not trying to give you a difficult time, honest. I just don't want anyone reading these posts to be turned off a viable, cost effective alternative for quality ball joints because of misinformation.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:37pm

Oh, I should mention they could be excellent products, just based upon my own experiences, they seem somewhat... Odd. Too late now anyways, Moogs are here to stay.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:57pm

Forgive me I am going to play both sides of the coin in this post, so bare with my rambling.

Ok I was going to let it slide as Romeo had already bought the parts and me pipping up was not going to make a difference aside from making him look like a novice.  However Patrick did bring up a good point and maybe I should speak up.

All lower ball joints from the factory were press in, if your control arms are good, then a simple press in of ANY new lower is fine, however most people do put a tack weld on it just for the extra security because once the control arm is stretched for the first one, it does not magically stretch back.  

So Rodney's regardless of what you read, can be used without welding, however most mechanics will recommend a tack weld, in fact anyone that does not say a tack weld is a good idea should be questioned.

Now as to Moog, IMHO they are the best on the market.   As far as I know they were the first ones to offer the adjustable upper ball joints and now I think just about everyone has gone to the adjustable upper design.

So there was no harm buying either set, just don't say that Rodney's are an issue because he recommends welding them in place. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Ok I was going to let it slide as Romeo had already bought the parts and me pipping up was not going to make a difference aside from making him look like a novice.  However Patrick did bring up a good point and maybe I should speak up.

I actually spoke up on February 2nd before Tristan bought the Moogs, trying to save him some money, but to no avail.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Well, heads are on hold for now until I pick up ball joints.
Are you getting them locally, or from Rodney?

We're just trying to look out for you buddy!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:23pm

If you flip to my Surgery thread, On Feb 2nd, I was in the hospital, under anesthetic, getting my knee cut open, so I think I might have missed that posting.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

...so I think I might have missed that posting.

I think Tristan did as well.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 4:18pm

lol

As I read it though, there hadn't been any mention of the press-fit in his little page for the lowering-type, which made it seem like they relied upon welding. That's where my concern came from.

And again, looking at the lowering ones, I still don't like the way they change the geometry myself. But that's personal taste, if you were making a show car, or didn't drive the car hard, I suppose there'd be no issue there.

Anyways, I'm planning to mill the heads a touch, and use 20cc dished pistons to offset the milling (End result of everything considered, such as gasket, deck height, pistons, combustion chamber, and pistons, it should be an exact 10:1). So, my hope is that shouldn't be high to warrant premium fuel, but if it does, I suppose I'll just have to suck it up. I've sent off requests to multiple companies to see prices and whatnot, but somehow custom forged just doesn't scream cheap, you know?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 6:11pm

And again, looking at the lowering ones, I still don't like the way they change the geometry myself.

Actually, if I remember correctly from what I've read at PFF, most guys like these lowering ball joints (as opposed to lowering springs) precisely because the lowering ball joints don't change the geometry!

Anyways, I'm planning to mill the heads a touch, and use 20cc dished pistons to offset the milling...

So now you're changing the pistons as well in that 2.8 boat anchor?  Oh Tristan Tristan Tristan...

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 11:21am

Hehe, good bye $750. =D

Anyways, by nature the ball joints MUST change the geometry if altered. The SAI (Where the weight is projected inside or outside the tire) directly relies upon where the ball joints are located, how they're angled and how large they are.

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:43pm
Here is the pricing I have locally for bushings and ball joints.

Front lower ball joint : XRF-$25.31 each, SPICER-$50.78 each
Front upper ball joint: XRF-$27.73 each, SPICER-$59.12 each
Rear lower ball joint: XRF-$25.98 each, SPICER-$64.30 each
Front lower control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$28.58 each kit (2 bushings/kit)
Front upper control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$23.45 each kit (2bushings/kit)
Rear lower control arm bushing kit: MOOG-$37.49 each kit (2bushings/kit)
Front shocks: KYB-$55.05 each
Rear struts: KYB-$77.85 each

No shipping and customs fees involved.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:50pm
How are those spicers? Didn't happen to notice them, although that pulls in just $100 less than what I paid, so not too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic