West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any info on 4.9 swap build thread?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote gtexotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any info on 4.9 swap build thread?
    Posted: 10 December 2008 at 12:49am

ive been trying to decide on what a good swap would be for my 86 fiero gt. Its either between the 3.4 dohc, 3800, or the 4.9. Any tips?

Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 1:32am

I been told that the 4.5/4.9 Caddy is really easy and the 38000 series I,II and III are about as easy as the Caddy engines when compared to the 3.4 DOHC/Twin Cam which is aparently one of the 2 most difficult swaps to do.

But as far as the 4.9 is concerned ask Capt. Fiero as he has one in his fiero.

as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
Buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 12:38pm
38000 would be one hell of a swap, sadly no such engine exists. I am sure you are talking about the 3800 which is rather difficult and very expensive.  But... 4.9 is cheap, easy, light, crazy fast, has excellent fuel economy. There is a reason the 4.9 is currently one of the most popular swaps out there.  But best of all...YOU'VE GOT A GOD DAMN V8 IN YOUR FIERO! 
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 1:17pm

I have been hesitant to post in this thread, as I have proven in the past that I take it a little too seriously and it can quickly turn into a flame war.  However here are the quick details

I have a 4.9 from a 93 Eldorado in my car.

The 4.9 does not need a V8 kit as the engine bolts to the Fiero trans without an adapter.

Its roughly 2" shorter than a Small Block Chevy, so you can use all the stock pulleys and water pump.

All the parts you need to drop it in and drive it can be ordered on line.

The stuff you would need to order are mounts, chip and flywheel if you choose to go with a stick shift version.   You would have to order all this regardless of what engine you choose.

Upgrade for the 4.9 are pretty slim

Delta cams in Seattle has a performance and extreme performance cam.

Chip tuning is from 1 of 2 guys, Rock crawl or Aaron.  Aaron's chips have the "fast chips" fuel and timing curves installed which is suppose to be worth 20hp and 20lbs of torque. As GM tuned the motor for a heavy car with preference to low rpm torque and smoothness vs high rpm power.

Intakes, the Allante Intake is worth about 20hp over stock.

Exhaust, the bigger the better, you have to have it built for you.

Injectors can be swapped out using Ford Mustang injectors.

When my internet comes back on line, I will go to PFF and grab my build thread pics.  (currently on line via my cell phone modem using internet sharing to a PC)

I have a 6 page build thread I started on there before this forum was even put together.

As far as performance, the 4.9 has enough torque to rip your head off.  As I have shown in a couple videos, you can be at 800 rpms, yes eight hundred rpms, cruising along, Tromp the throttle and light the tires up.  If you are in say 5th gear cruising along and need to pass someone, just twitch your right foot, you don't need to shift, you don't need to think, just press the gas and all that torque gets put to good use.

Mileage, the last time Lisa and I took the car to Oregon and Back, we averaged 30mpg on the highway cruising 130kph average. 

Aircare with a 4.9 is a joke, when tested last, it could have been 10x worse and still passed.  Some of the readings were 0.00 by Aircare.  The engine is much more efficient than the 2.8 ever was.

Sound, ITS GREAT.  I love the sound.  In every modern 4 stroke motor,   A 4cyl engine fires, twice per crank rotation, a V6 fires 3 times per crank rotation and a V8 fires 4 times per rotation.  So for every 1/4 crank rotation on a V8, you get a cylinder firing. So to get say 200hp, on a V8 you need 4 small bangs, where on a 4cyl each cylinder has to make twice as large  the bang each time it fires.   This is really why exotic cars run big cylinder small displacement engines, like V12's.    You get a really nice sound and great even power while running nice and smooth.     

There are other great swaps out there, like the 3800SC and the 3.4TDC and the 4.6 Northstar.      However my personal choice will always be for the biggest number of cylinders, even if its not the biggest engine or making the most power.   

If you need a simple swap, there is always the 3.4 Pushrod motor from the Camaro which is a direct swap for the 2.8 needing only minor mods to drop it in.   In range of difficulty, I would say

Easiest to hardest

3.4 Pushrod

4.9 V8

3.8SC

Any SBC V8

3.4 DOHC V6

4.6 DOHC V8

2.0 Ecotec 4cyl

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 1:40pm

Here is the PFF version of the build thread.  When I have some time, I am going to copy all the images and move it over here to our Build Thread Area on this Forum. 

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/051546.html

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
gtexotic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gtexotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 1:59pm

Wheres my best bet to get a good but cheap Cadillac pfi4.9 for around $1000?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 2:07pm
Well for me, a fellow 4.9 owner and board member, from Seattle found me a complete 4.9 with fuel injection, ECM all the wiring and accessories for $560 USD.   Here in BC the same package was going to set me back nearly $2000 Some places wanted $1500 just for the engine. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by gtexotic gtexotic wrote:

Wheres my best bet to get a good but cheap Cadillac pfi4.9 for around $1000?

Looks like you just missed out on This for $1000

Quote //SOLD// OK, first off I've lowered the price and I've got a lot of requests to hold the car till so and so or can I store the car after it's been paid for or can I take partial payments...So to be fair to everyone interested in the car I will gladly show the car to whoever wants to see it but please have all your finances ready to actually take the car home within a reasonable time frame if you decide you want it! I think this is a fair request and saves your time, my time, and anybody else's who might be interested. Thanks! Selling a '92 Seville STS. The STS version is the top level model available in the Seville lineup for '92. Many options came with the STS including 'GX3' 3.33 Final drive. This is the fastest accelerating transmission available. It has the 4.9 V8 engine with the 4T60E auto trans. The engine and transmission from this car are one of the most popular choices for engine conversions in Fieros. The car is from Alberta and has never been registered in BC. You will have to register it in BC and I will provide the Alberta regi papers to do so. Engine and trans run perfectly but paint and interior need TLC and passenger seat is missing. First $1000 takes it home!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 10:23pm
But this one http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/963504173.htmlwas just posted today.

They're out there!  Just gotta be ready with cash in hand....

Kyng_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kyng_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2008 at 10:57pm

Looks like you just missed out on This for $1000

Quote //SOLD// OK, first off I've lowered the price and I've got a lot of requests to hold the car till so and so or can I store the car after it's been paid for or can I take partial payments...So to be fair to everyone interested in the car I will gladly show the car to whoever wants to see it but please have all your finances ready to actually take the car home within a reasonable time frame if you decide you want it! I think this is a fair request and saves your time, my time, and anybody else's who might be interested. Thanks! Selling a '92 Seville STS. The STS version is the top level model available in the Seville lineup for '92. Many options came with the STS including 'GX3' 3.33 Final drive. This is the fastest accelerating transmission available. It has the 4.9 V8 engine with the 4T60E auto trans. The engine and transmission from this car are one of the most popular choices for engine conversions in Fieros. The car is from Alberta and has never been registered in BC. You will have to register it in BC and I will provide the Alberta regi papers to do so. Engine and trans run perfectly but paint and interior need TLC and passenger seat is missing. First $1000 takes it home!

[/QUOTE]

I was looking at this one myself but didn't have the cash in hand till today

as the average human male life span is around 72 and I am now 36 can I officially consider my fiero as my midlife crisis car?
demandrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote demandrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Here is the PFF version of the build thread.  When I have some time, I am going to copy all the images and move it over here to our Build Thread Area on this Forum. 

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/051546.html

so glad i came across this as i just bought a new tranny for my 2.8 and after seeing your pics discovered it was for a 4 cyl

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 11:35am
WOW Old thread. Ok note, the 5spd from the 4cyl will bolt up and work, and in some ways I prefer it on the V6 due to the better gearing. You will need the proper cables for it and slave cylinder.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
megjamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote megjamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 6:13pm
Hello. I just got a 87 Fieros. And was thinking a 4.9 swap too. If I could ask you for any pointers. Would be great. Found a 92 El Doradowith about 120000 miles on it the whole car for 500.00 thank you for your time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic